Derm After Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ozzie20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student interested in pediatrics, but i also have an interest in Derm.

To be honest, my step 1 scores arent super amazing top 99.99999 percent (haven't taken step 2), but i'm a member of the osteopathic honors society, and have some other extra-curricular activities that make me a good candidate like clinical work before medical school. I know that derm is ultra difficult to get into, and to be honest after reading how just about every specialty is competitive, i'm thinking with my sub 90th %tile scores, i'm shut out of just about every specialty except for FP, IM, and Peds (which i do love incidentally)

My question is, is it hard to get into a derm residency after completing a peds residency, or are there programs that offer derm fellowships after pediatrics?

Should i consider even trying to get into an osteopathic derm residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost 100 people viewed and no one has any advice? please?

I have a friend who had a friend who did derm after a peds residency. I think it's possible, but read somewhere that it may be hardier to get funding for a person already trained in another residency.

Since graduating med school and starting my derm residency I have convinced a close friend of mine to finish his peds residency and continue on into a derm residency with the ultimate goal of becoming a fellowship-trained pediatric dermatologist.

There is a need for pediatric dermatologists out there. It normally is a 2-year fellowship after derm but by completing a peds residency before derm residency, the fellowship is often shaved down by 6mo to a year. The difficulty getting into derm after peds is that the ACGME only funds residents for 5 years of postgrad training then the program must foot the bill thereafter. In essence, they would be paying for your last year.

Many programs, particularly ones with pedi-derm fellowships, are willing to take on these applicants. However, there are many programs that will not interview any applicants who have completed a prior residency (likely for financial reasons). In essence, you are limited, but to programs where you would most likely stay on as a fellow were you to match there.

Do note though, that the pedi applicants applying to derm are just as stellar as other "traditional" applicants. My friend who will match this year is a 2nd year at the most prestigious children's hospital in the country, was AOA in med school, and so-on. In other words, you still must be up to snuff. If so, then to answer your question, it certainly is possible.

Good luck.