Depressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_maverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IT's elementary ...don't know if anyone has come across such a mistake .

I began the process of applying very late , and in a hurry mistyped my GRE scores in the resume and sent the same to universities !

Don't know what to do now ? Do I stand any chance of getting admission now ? Should I inform the admission ofices of my mistake ? or should I simply apply in more universities now (I've already applied in 6 univ. )

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi maverick,

Contact the admissions office of each school immediately. See if they will let you send or fax a corrected version (or perhaps the admissions people can fix it for you). If you wrote down a score too low, they'll be happy to see your score reports and other forms reflecting higher scores. If you wrote down a score too high, it's important to get the typo fixed ASAP so they know you're being honest and they don't think you're purposely trying to misrepresent your scores. (It's also possible they won't look so closely and cross-check, but it's much better to try to get it fixed.)

You could hedge by applying to more schools, but hopefully schools will be understanding and they'll be able to either pull your file before it gets sent to the admissions committee, or at least track down the file and update it.

the_maverick said:

I began the process of applying very late , and in a hurry mistyped my GRE scores in the resume and sent the same to universities !

Don't know what to do now ? Do I stand any chance of getting admission now ? Should I inform the admission ofices of my mistake ? or should I simply apply in more universities now (I've already applied in 6 univ. )

the_maverick said:

hey maverick,

just remember that the schools will also be receiving official copies of your gre scores, so it isn't the end of the world. i would maybe call the admissions offices of the programs where you applied and explain the situation... but at the end of the day, they'll have the correct scores from ets.

hope that helps a little to ease your mind. good luck with the process!

Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. While it's probably still a good idea to fix your resume, I do agree with varekai that this is not the end of the world and is unlikely to be a deciding factor (or even considered important, and possibly not even noticed) in your application. When I answered earlier, I was about to run out of the house and forgot to add something encouraging to that effect... Thanks, varekai! :)

My application had a typo in it, and I was accepted. Just call them and explain so they don't think you're trying to fool them if you typo'd score is higher. Regardless, don't sweat it.

Adcadet said:
My application had a typo in it, and I was accepted. Just call them and explain so they don't think you're trying to fool them if you typo'd score is higher. Regardless, don't sweat it.

Thanks a lot ppl ...ur words have been very encouraging .

hi mate,

yeah...you should stay positive...nothings gonna happen..just let them know and all will be fine..

cheers

the_maverick said:
Thanks a lot ppl ...ur words have been very encouraging .
Now, if your app had annoying abbreviations like in your reply you're screwed. Sorry, but I get sick of seeing crappy abbreviations/slang. I get confused enough reading other people's notes at school, and I haven't even done my OB rotation yet!