Depressed, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protonate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background: med school (west coast) wasn't the best experience and I later found out I had a bipolar disorder (currently on a leave of absence). I was approximately in the 3rd quartile in my classes but I know I didn't fully apply myself (2/2 to my mood disorder). Now that I'm medicated I feel like I'm better able to approach school. I never did any board prep during pre-clinicals and am now trying to study for step1. Did 4 Uworld blocks and averaging 40-50%. I'm 6 weeks away from my scheduled test date but I'm pretty sure I will have to push it back. Thinking about my whole predicament is really depressing. I'm currently doing UWorld in tutor mode and thoroughly reading the related topics (including the wrong answers) in First aid. I'm just wondering if you guys had any advice for me with respect to studying? Currently it takes me a day to go through UWorld/First aid.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

A little background: med school (west coast) wasn't the best experience and I later found out I had a bipolar disorder (currently on a leave of absence). I was approximately in the 3rd quartile in my classes but I know I didn't fully apply myself (2/2 to my mood disorder). Now that I'm medicated I feel like I'm better able to approach school. I never did any board prep during pre-clinicals and am now trying to study for step1. Did 4 Uworld blocks and averaging 40-50%. I'm 6 weeks away from my scheduled test date but I'm pretty sure I will have to push it back. Thinking about my whole predicament is really depressing. I'm currently doing UWorld in tutor mode and thoroughly reading the related topics (including the wrong answers) in First aid. I'm just wondering if you guys had any advice for me with respect to studying? Currently it takes me a day to go through UWorld/First aid.

Thanks in advance

Calm down, and do not worry, you are working to do your best, im pretty sure you would get a good score; but its important to relax and enjoy what you are doing, if you believe in god just pray, go out, do exercise, and go back to the books, in the life everything must have a balance, its just an exam, there more important things in life, dont get sick for doing this or punish yourself.

Relax. you are going to do great.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you're on the right track, preparation wise.

Take every available online NBME form to assess yourself once you're done with UWorld, and if you have to push back your test date, then don't feel too bad about it.

40-50% with 6 weeks left is just fine. Focus on finishing 2 UWorld blocks/day before anything else. Literally.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I was thinking about delaying my exam date and start focusing on pathoma/BRS/First Aid/USMLE-Rx to gain a more solid background before continuing UWorld/FA. Do you guys think it's a good idea?