Depressed med student switch to PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Sooo. I should be an M3 right now at a US MD school. But I'm a student who finished the first semester of school, took a year of leave for depression, came back and finished the second semester, and then started M2 and took another leave for severe depression after a classmate OD'd.

By severe, I mean I've tried everything, including shocking my brain in various ways. I never had depression of this severity before med school. My family doesn't know I'm on leave again. : (

All throughout, I've been barely passing. (And had to remediate Immuno through an exam). I haven't had much support from my school's admin. I had requested decelerating the M2 curriculum instead of taking leave, but they denied that.

So basically I've finished 1 year of med school in the equivalent of 3 years. My loan burden with undergrad is $130k.

I still have a spot in school, and have been studying in advance for M2 year, but just looking at this material, I have a strong sense that I'm going to fail M2. Several students from the year above are retaking the entire year. I also fear I'm risking my life with this depression.

I really want to leave med school and do PA school. I have no doubt I could do well. I also feel a huge burden lifted when I consider this possibility. I think the depression is hugely situational and related to med school itself. Why would PA school be any better? I can think of a million reasons.

My father was a physician who OD'd accidentally when I was young. I don't want to end up on the same path. I don't regret giving med school a good shot... I just don't want it to take my life. I don't value the prestige of the MD more than I value my life. I want to be happy again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Sadmed, I can't give you a ton of advice about this. I'm just about to start M1 year myself. I did want to tell you that you are loved and not alone. You're right, this career isn't worth your life. You gave it a good shot and should be proud of accomplishing more than 90% of pre-meds who start that way ever will. Whatever you decide make sure to get help and use your support network (friends and family) as much as possible.

Reactions: 15 users
the most important thing is that you take care of yourself and have a good therapist who can help you work through your issues and explore your next steps. It is never a good idea to make decisions when depressed because your decision-making and judgment are going to be clouded by emotions. It could be that dropping out of medical school is the right decision, but it would be better to take a leave of absence and only once your mood has improved decide what you want to do. PA schools are probably not disposed to take med school drop outs so you will still have to work on your application for that, have the requisite clinical hours, and have a compelling story for that. it could be that a healthcare related career is not what you want at all.

often when depressed, people try to come up with reasons why and convince themselves "if only...then..." but depression is complex. true depressive illness is rarely situational. it is common for people to become depressed during med school. it is rare for people to become severely depressed only because of medical school. if your depression did not very quickly life during previous leaves of absence then it is obvious that it was not simply med school induced as a true "situational depression" (which would not require treatment with ECT etc.) would rapidly resolve when removed from the offending situation. You also have several risk factors that predispose to depression (e.g. family history of mood disorder and suicide, early loss of a parent) and make it sound like you had a history of depression even before medical school. It is also not surprising given your personal history, that you were significantly affected by a classmate OD'ing. your way of thinking (e.g. "I want to be happy") is not conducive to good mental health. happiness is by its very nature fleeting. it is not a realistic or specific life goal.

it is unfortunate your school has not been more supportive/accommodating. You could argue that it is an ADA reasonable accommodation for them to decelerate your M2 curriculum but medical schools are well within their rights to not make such accommodations if they believe they indicates unsuitability for the practice of medicine. regardless take it one step at a time and focus on getting well and the rest will sort itself out.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Sooo. I should be an M3 right now at a US MD school. But I'm a student who finished the first semester of school, took a year of leave for depression, came back and finished the second semester, and then started M2 and took another leave for severe depression after a classmate OD'd.

By severe, I mean I've tried everything, including shocking my brain in various ways. I never had depression of this severity before med school. My family doesn't know I'm on leave again. : (

All throughout, I've been barely passing. (And had to remediate Immuno through an exam). I haven't had much support from my school's admin. I had requested decelerating the M2 curriculum instead of taking leave, but they denied that.

So basically I've finished 1 year of med school in the equivalent of 3 years. My loan burden with undergrad is $130k.

I still have a spot in school, and have been studying in advance for M2 year, but just looking at this material, I have a strong sense that I'm going to fail M2. Several students from the year above are retaking the entire year. I also fear I'm risking my life with this depression.

I really want to leave med school and do PA school. I have no doubt I could do well. I also feel a huge burden lifted when I consider this possibility. I think the depression is hugely situational and related to med school itself. Why would PA school be any better? I can think of a million reasons.

My father was a physician who OD'd accidentally when I was young. I don't want to end up on the same path. I don't regret giving med school a good shot... I just don't want it to take my life. I don't value the prestige of the MD more than I value my life. I want to be happy again.
Sadmed, I'm very sorry to hear of this. Given the intractability of your illness, it's probably best to try a another career venue. But even PA might be too much. I suggest one of the allied health professions.

Although I did read the rest, this honestly could have been the whole post. The fact that you view it as prestige versus life could indicate that you're not in medicine for the right reasons. You're smart enough to realize your limits and know that this profession + your condition will kill you. There are tons of careers that have prestige that don't have the stressors of medicine. If you were smart enough to get into medical school, you'll absolutely be smart enough to find a better career that fits the lifestyle you need and lets you life a happy life. Go be happy. Best of luck out there.

Hi there,

First of all, I’m sorry you’re going through all this, stay strong and know help is there if you need it.

Having said that, there is a saying I’ve heard several times in medicine, and it holds true. You can’t take care of others unless you take care of yourself first.

Medical school/residency does not get any easier for the next 5+ years. There were many times during this process that I wished to switch to PA school as well, and I wasn’t going through what you are.

Nobody will fault you for this decision, and I personally wish you the best if you decide to switch to PA school. The most important thing is stay safe and healthy. Jobs, school, and everything else will be there, your health takes priority.

Best wishes, and let me know if you ever need to talk to someone.

Reactions: 2 users
TBH, I don't know if you could get through PA school with your situation currently. They have such a rough curriculum (particularly the pre-clinical year, having mandatory classes from 9-5 everyday and then going home to study pretty much every day) and have minimums to pass everything. I have a couple good friends in PA school, and it looks like a nightmare to me.

Thanks to all so much for the replies, and especially for the compassion. I really appreciate it.

To be honest, if I were to find a good way to treat this depression and keep it under control, I know I'd be a great doctor. I always wanted to be a neurologist. It's been such a fight over the past 3 years. I've tried TMS, trials for drugs like intranasal Ketamine and IV Ketamine; every drug on the market, it seems, including stimulants. I even have my own tDCS device. ECT works but is expensive and I need a ride to pick me up. I'd also need maintenance therapy, maybe every few weeks.

I'm proud of myself for going up against such a monster. Just existing is hard, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I had some depression and anxiety as a child, but it never affected my school.

The only thing that has ever given me a sense of what it's like to live depression-free was when I've taken Norco for pain after a surgery. But of course that's not an option... that's the path my father took, and I get it now. I'm going to talk to some psychiatrists to see if buprenorphine may be a possibility for me. And I'll wait til I feel better before I make any decisions.

I know this is not a treatment site. I'm just thinking out loud. But maybe if I wait another year out I can find something that works, and can also study ahead of the game to prepare for days when I feel bad.

P.S. Isn't it odd though, that my father was completely fine through med school and residency. His depression must have developed later on, mid-30's. Is that typical? My mom told me that no antidepressants worked for him.

All my siblings are fine, but my brother has bipolar disorder. I've never had manic or hypomanic episodes that I've recognized. Maybe I'll look into that again too. I need to find a psychiatrist who is quite aggressive and at the top of their game.

From the sound of it, OP has blown well past the “get help” point and is now firmly in the “get the f**k out of medicine before it kills you” zone.

If it were me, I’d look into pharmaceutical consulting, computer programming, or even pharmacy school (which at least will put you on a solid path toward paying off loan debt).

Reactions: 1 users
If you can't get through med school, don't do PA school. Just because it's shorter doesn't mean it's easier. Their first year is basically the important parts of MS1 and MS2 years, and their second year is the important parts of MS3 and MS4 years. Since the second half of MS4 is a joke, they end up getting almost the same education we do, except they don't go into as much detail in biochem and physiology. The pace is every bit as strenuous. (Source: my wife is a PA.) You'll be better off being happy and working in a different field rather than being depressed and sad in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if people are still here, but would love some input. The update is: I'm on a new med and am doing somewhat better. I still worry about the severe depression coming back. I'll have to be pro-active and creative throughout my life while I hope for better treatments each year.

My main hurdle is that I have 12k in fees on my bursar that I need to pay before I return for MS2, due to how I left for LOA-- plus some medical bills. If I don't return this August due to inability to pay, I need to petition the school for an extra year (I've already taken 2 years of LOA; that would be a 3rd). The dean says it's unlikely I would be dismissed, but they would be concerned about how far I am from the 1st year material for Step 1. I'm not concerned about that, since I've been reviewing it and getting more out of self-study.

If, due to an additional year off, they require me to re-sit the MS1 year, I'd have to resign. Or maybe challenge that on the basis of disability.

Re: the 12k fees, I'm going to do whatever I can to make up this amount in the time I have. I could max out my credit cards, but then I'd be in trouble while in school. For the past 6 months I've been on our school's disability insurance. I'm now applying to jobs for the 6 months I have left.

I found out yesterday that my younger brother is addicted to meth and is getting violent. He has bipolar disorder and I don't expect him to get better. I've felt pressure on myself to be able to care for my mom. She took care of 6 kids after my dad died and I want to retire her well. That's truly all I care about in life. (I'm gay and FTM, with no plans to have my own family).

I wonder if I should jump this ship now or give it one more shot. I'd be adding more to my federal loans, but if I fail/resign due to depression, I plan to work a public service job anyways, likely with homeless youth. (PSLF) My loan burden is already high, so what's another 30k to try and save my career?

The prospect of PSLF is all that keeps me from feeling completely hopeless. I feel like I've lived out my worst fears. I'm trying to stay positive. Thanks so much.

Hi there,

Out of curiosity, what type of medical school are you going to? MD/DO/Caribbean? It's OK if you'd prefer not to answer.

I'm not sure if people are still here, but would love some input. The update is: I'm on a new med and am doing somewhat better. I still worry about the severe depression coming back. I'll have to be pro-active and creative throughout my life while I hope for better treatments each year.

My main hurdle is that I have 12k in fees on my bursar that I need to pay before I return for MS2, due to how I left for LOA-- plus some medical bills. If I don't return this August due to inability to pay, I need to petition the school for an extra year (I've already taken 2 years of LOA; that would be a 3rd). The dean says it's unlikely I would be dismissed, but they would be concerned about how far I am from the 1st year material for Step 1. I'm not concerned about that, since I've been reviewing it and getting more out of self-study.

If, due to an additional year off, they require me to re-sit the MS1 year, I'd have to resign. Or maybe challenge that on the basis of disability.

OP, your story is touching and very sad. You're in my thoughts. You are not alone and you deserve happy. I'm glad that your new treatment is promising and you are committed to battling your depression. I probably speak for everyone on this forum that your life is worth much more than a medical degree. You can do this.

I am very sorry to hear that your depression has caused you this much heartache, so much that it is clouding your dream of being a physician. Counseling and friends/family can help get you through this, you are not alone. Many PAs even struggle with mental illness (Depression, anxiety, etc), but at the end of the day, if you are controlled on medication, feel comfortable mentally, but still think physician is not the right path, maybe it is worth considering a career change.

As a current PA (with a SO in medical school, currently), I can tell you PA school is not necessarily an easy way out. It is shorter schooling, yes, but the schooling is crash-course so everything is thrown at you a lot faster to fit into that shorter time frame (but more continuous). Additionally, as mentioned in the comments above, many PA schools are very competitive to get into: you will need to take the GRE (most wont take your MCAT scores), clinical hours unrelated to training (every school is different, but better schools require more hours typically), and some other specific courses you may or may not have taken as a pre-med.
It is not a parallel path or a stepping stone, it is a different mindset in the world of medicine. Your story, however, could be a thesis for your application if used correctly. Nevertheless, the profession itself will likely be less stressful. You wont have to spend the stressful years of residency to get to your ultimate career. The main responsibility will be taken off of you in many areas in which you could work as a PA (again, completely dependent on where you work, could be just as much responsibility as a doc). You will likely be able to have more time outside of work for person obligations and interests because many PAs are rarely on call or take much work home with them (depending on the field obviously). Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more details from first hand experience.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. As cliché as it might sound, you really are not alone. As previously mentioned, your #1 priority is getting better mentally before making any big decisions (i.e. deciding to switch to PA school vs. staying vs. dropping out vs. etc...). It looks like your current treatment regimen looks promising but make sure you build on it. It's a good thing that your dean said it's unlikely that you'll be dismissed, which should bring comfort to you. That being said, you want to make sure you're in the best position mentally/emotionally/physically before coming back. Feel free to PM if you just want to chat with someone!

Re: the 12k fees, I'm going to do whatever I can to make up this amount in the time I have. I could max out my credit cards, but then I'd be in trouble while in school. For the past 6 months I've been on our school's disability insurance. I'm now applying to jobs for the 6 months I have left.

I found out yesterday that my younger brother is addicted to meth and is getting violent. He has bipolar disorder and I don't expect him to get better. I've felt pressure on myself to be able to care for my mom. She took care of 6 kids after my dad died and I want to retire her well. That's truly all I care about in life. (I'm gay and FTM, with no plans to have my own family).

I wonder if I should jump this ship now or give it one more shot. I'd be adding more to my federal loans, but if I fail/resign due to depression, I plan to work a public service job anyways, likely with homeless youth. (PSLF) My loan burden is already high, so what's another 30k to try and save my career?

The prospect of PSLF is all that keeps me from feeling completely hopeless. I feel like I've lived out my worst fears. I'm trying to stay positive. Thanks so much.

I think you should go with your first instinct and quit now before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole. Medical school only gets harder in the second and especially third years. The odds of you successfully graduating and completing residency without suffering from major depression or burnout are very, very low. You're far more likely to find yourself buried under even more debt. Trust me, 300k+ in debt is a crushing burden to bear that will only add to your depression. I know $130k in loans seems like a lot, but it isn't that bad; roughly the same as a mortgage for a small house. With the various REPAYE programs you will be able to manage it. Talk to your school about the 12k in fees and see if they can put you on a payment plan. They don't want you to declare bankruptcy or to send the money to collections, so they will probably be willing to work with you in some way. Find a job that makes you happy and do that, without ever looking back at medical school.

Your life is more important than a degree or a job. I wish it could say it gets easier, but the truth is it gets worse. You're expected to know more and are expected to take more responsibility while being dumped on by everyone around you. I would suggest you call it quits before it's too late.

The first line of the original post says US MD...

Oh, duh...thanks! Forgot it by the time I finished reading the original post.

My point in asking is that I do know the attrition rate can be high at some Caribbean schools, but at most US MD and DO schools, my experience is they will do just about everything to help you get through your tough spots and come out with an MD at the end. You mentioned that your administration wasn't receptive to you decelerating during your MS2 year. Have you sought out any specific academic counseling resources? I know at my school, we had an education PhD whose primary job it was to help students who were having trouble picking up the pace to med school and to improve their study skills and find weak points. Is there anyone like that you could go to at your institution?

Obviously, your depression is something you will need to deal with in real life with counseling or whatever other means--not just venting on this forum. And I think you know that. But the underlying cause seems to in large part be due to your difficulty getting through med school in a fashion other than barely passing each year to the next. Just make sure you're using all available resources and doing everything you can to determine why you're having difficulty and what you can do to fix it.

Very few (certainly not zero...but very few nonetheless) students are accepted to American MD programs who do not have the raw intellectual abilities to pass med school. Usually there are a few weakness in their study habits or organizational skills that are preventing them from achieving academic success.

Best of luck!

How so? I keep hearing that PA school is harder than med school, but it's usually coming from PA student or a med student who is close to one i.e. spouse etc...
There is your answer. C'mon now, that's knucklehead talk, hahaha PA school harder than medical school (m2 no less), good one everyone.

1) She is in class basically 9-5 everyday (mandatory)
2) If she doesn't get a certain GPA they fail you out (shes doing fine tho)
3) Disorganized AF (and I thought my school was bad)
4) Pretty dang hard tests, jumping straight to step2 material without much pathophysiology so its a lot of memorization
5) Faster pace...learn everything about the heart in 4 days kind of stuff

Med school is easier in the sense that you have time to learn everything you need. Yes, we learn A LOT more...but we are given the time and space to do it, comparatively speaking. Obviously not every PA and med school are the same but I would still say her school is harder than mine (at this point in time) for the above reasons. Now, when she is working in a cush office making 100k while I'm on surgery rotation, we'll see how I feel then.

4) Pretty dang hard tests, jumping straight to step2 material without much pathophysiology so its a lot of memorization

1. mandatory school - some med schools have this too

2. fail below a certain GPA - It seems easier to do it by GPA than by class, because your good and bad classes can even out.

3. disorganized - not all PA schools are disorganized - it's unfortunate hers is disorganized - but I wouldn't make this a failing of all PA schools.

4. hard tests - the depth of the tests is much less than medical school. At my PA school we took classes with medical students during their MS2 year, but had our own (easier, more superficial) tests. After 7 years not working as a PA, I took a refresher course, studied for a month, and passed the recertification exam to become a fully functional PA. I couldn't do that and pass STEP 1 or STEP 2.

5. faster pace - I couldn't learn medical school material any faster than I did. I studied waaaayyy harder and put far more hours into passing the first and second years of medical school than I put into PA school. Medical school requires so much more knowledge. The PA school pace isn't "faster". The volume of information they learn is less than 50% of what we learn, and they learn it at a much more superficial level. That's why they can do it in one year. If by "faster" you mean that they go through more body systems in a shorter amount of time, that's true. I had 2 weeks of pharmacology in PA school. Did I learn anywhere near as much then as I did during the 1 year pharmacology course during MS2? Of course not. It's simply not possible. You could say I learned pharmacology "faster" in PA school, but I wasn't required to learn nearly the volume of material. (I had to learn a lot about pharmacology as a working PA. 2 weeks of pharmacology wasn't nearly enough.)

I'm not knocking the PA profession. I love being a PA, but after doing both, I can firmly state that PA school is not "harder" than medical school.

But hey, what do I know. I'm only a certified physician assistant who receives my MD diploma in 3 months.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you should finish what you started. I think people who become depressed in medical school have perfectionist qualities which are dissonant from the realities of medical school.

Just focus on passing.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Ultimately, looking back at what you have given up (a medical career) may be even more depressing than what you are currently experiencing.

1. mandatory school - some med schools have this too

2. fail below a certain GPA - It seems easier to do it by GPA than by class, because your good and bad classes can even out.

3. disorganized - not all PA schools are disorganized - it's unfortunate hers is disorganized - but I wouldn't make this a failing of all PA schools.

4. hard tests - the depth of the tests is much less than medical school. At my PA school we took classes with medical students during their MS2 year, but had our own (easier, more superficial) tests. After 7 years not working as a PA, I took a refresher course, studied for a month, and passed the recertification exam to become a fully functional PA. I couldn't do that and pass STEP 1 or STEP 2.

5. faster pace - I couldn't learn medical school material any faster than I did. I studied waaaayyy harder and put far more hours into passing the first and second years of medical school than I put into PA school. Medical school requires so much more knowledge. The PA school pace isn't "faster". The volume of information they learn is less than 50% of what we learn, and they learn it at a much more superficial level. That's why they can do it in one year. If by "faster" you mean that they go through more body systems in a shorter amount of time, that's true. I had 2 weeks of pharmacology in PA school. Did I learn anywhere near as much then as I did during the 1 year pharmacology course during MS2? Of course not. It's simply not possible. You could say I learned pharmacology "faster" in PA school, but I wasn't required to learn nearly the volume of material. (I had to learn a lot about pharmacology as a working PA. 2 weeks of pharmacology wasn't nearly enough.)

I'm not knocking the PA profession. I love being a PA, but after doing both, I can firmly state that PA school is not "harder" than medical school.

But hey, what do I know. I'm only a certified physician assistant who receives my MD diploma in 3 months.

I'm so tired of my PA friends arguing that they learn everything medical school students learn in a shorter amount of time. I'm pretty sure the pace is faster in medical school because more info is covered per system (but fewer systems are covered per semester). Thanks for setting the record straight. There are very few people who can speak on the subject from the perspective of a PA and MD.

Med school is easier in the sense that you have time to learn everything you need. Yes, we learn A LOT more...but we are given the time and space to do it, comparatively speaking. Obviously not every PA and med school are the same but I would still say her school is harder than mine (at this point in time) for the above reasons. Now, when she is working in a cush office making 100k while I'm on surgery rotation, we'll see how I feel then.

Sounds like your school is some namby pamby crap school that ought to be shut down.

I studied like a beast and always felt like I was behind.

PA school isn't even close to medical school and the fact that someone thinks they could be compared is an insult.

Reactions: 3 users
PA school isn't even close to medical school and the fact that someone thinks they could be compared is an insult.

I remember (eons ago when I was in PA school) being told and telling medical students much the same as this PA student. It's honestly what PA students (and probably even some practicing PAs) believe. Maybe it's what we're told in PA school or what students pass on to each other. Most PAs learn the difference between PA knowledge and MD knowledge pretty quickly once they're on the job.

P.S. Isn't it odd though, that my father was completely fine through med school and residency. His depression must have developed later on, mid-30's. Is that typical? My mom told me that no antidepressants worked for him.

All my siblings are fine, but my brother has bipolar disorder. I've never had manic or hypomanic episodes that I've recognized. Maybe I'll look into that again too. I need to find a psychiatrist who is quite aggressive and at the top of their game.
He might have had an inciting event or stress that brought it on. You just had a lower threshold for stress, because you aren't your father.

Thanks for the responses, all. It really means a lot.

As I titrate up and continue to do better for the first time in years, I have my mind on going back. My confidence has been shaken, but I need to bounce back mentally, no matter the decision.

I need to pay off my 12k bursar in the next 5 months, so I'll be working a lot. I'll be coming back to school with no savings in case anything goes wrong, but I can't extend this leave any longer.

Right now I'm concerned with finishing the degree more than worrying about how I'll match with two LOA's on my record. But the reality is-- this feels unprecedented and looks awful. I'm interested in Neuro or could do Family Med and work with the LGBT community. I'd be very happy anywhere in the Southwest.

Also, as I look at the costs of applying to residency (avg ~ 3-5k) and away rotations (2k), I partly wonder whether I should ask for one more year to work to get to a better place financially.

Over half of med students have support from mom/dad. Just applying to med school depleted my savings post-college. I drive a 2005 that's falling apart. I need to see a dentist...

Meh, I'll figure it out.

Update to the update: I've decided to apply to an entry-level MSN program for non-nurses, with the goal of becoming a nurse practitioner. If they accept me, I'm likely leaving med school.

The 130k hole I've dug for myself hurts, but not as much as pushing myself to practical psychosis with the stress of the med school curriculum.

Also, as I look at the costs of applying to residency (avg ~ 3-5k) and away rotations (2k), I partly wonder whether I should ask for one more year to work to get to a better place financially.

Over half of med students have support from mom/dad. Just applying to med school depleted my savings post-college. I drive a 2005 that's falling apart. I need to see a dentist...

Meh, I'll figure it out.

Every year you delay graduation is one less year you'll be working as an attending before you retire. AKA a 150-500k deficit. Take loans for your expenses.

Although if you're really gonna leave med school to be a NP, then so be it.

Hi there,

Didn't read the rest of this thread but 100 percent do PA if you feel like this in med school and think PA will help fix that. It usually doesn't get better in residency as responsibility and debt builds up. Best of luck