Depressed but scared of seeking help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you apply for a medical license you think a state board of medicine can just get your hippa protected medical records without your consent?

no, at that stage they would need consent

once you have been granted a license and start practice, depending on state law and what comes up, if an investigation is started on you, some states are able to get a subpoena for your records to aid in their investigation

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on you not signing over your medical records?

There is not a single state which requires you to release to them your personal medical and psychiatric records in order to obtain a license.

in California, any applicant who admits to a history of certain psychiatric disorders, and ANY treatment for substance abuse (including alcohol) MUST release all medical and psych records to the board as a condition of licensure.

There was a user on here who posted pictures of the wording and was asking for advice. I believe he had asked for a doctors help getting off prescription painkillers after an injury and had answered "yes" to the substance abuse question, at which point he received correspondence from the state board informing him that he would need to release his medical and psychiatric records for them to "review his case."

Edited because it's not actually on the main licensure form, it's an addendum form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Based on you not signing over your medical records?

There is not a single state which requires you to release to them your personal medical and psychiatric records in order to obtain a license.

No, not as a matter of course, of course not. BUT some states, depending on what you mark on your app regarding various diagnoses, can in fact ask to review your personal health records. That request could be limited or it could ask to see all of your psych/substance treatment history.

This really is a general rule of thumb: anything the board asks you to do, that you do not comply with, can cost you your license. The instances where someone gets a lawyer and are able to get the board to back off, are limited.

Beyond the applicant portion of this, as a license holder, you have actually entered into a legal contract with the medical board.

This is very similar to laws about when you are granted a license to drive and what your responsibilities are should you be pulled over.

@michaelrack is a psychiatrist and a whole host of other things, I have worked with IRL a psychiatrist that was known for working with other physicians and their dealings with the medical board and picked their brain, and I know some other people firsthand that have been in exactly the situations I have described

Just because you have a *lack* of experience with physicians finding their privacy invaded by the medical board, doesn't somehow negate the experiences of people on this board telling you how this works.

If you read up not just on SDN but on Medscape as well, you can read more firsthand accounts of people with mental health issues and their dealings with various medical boards.

Seek help.

I had a friend in my class (several actually) go through a depressive episode and come out of it, helped by starting SSRIs during the school year. It's possible. You deserve to feel better.

There are PLENTY of medical professionals who have psychiatric diagnoses. My own clerkship director is VERY VERY open about her past depressive episodes and suicide attempts. Last year, she made a point of mentioning she had to run from the didactics she taught us to go to her own therapist appointment.

And hey! She's been teaching there for about 10 years. No one has tried to take her license away yet. Also, she's a bomb-ass teacher and psychiatrist--loved by patients and students alike.

Having a mental illness doesn't mean you're weak. Doesn't mean you're less than. All it means is you're suffering right now, but you don't have to suffer forever.

Reactions: 2 users
Had a wake up call yesterday. My cousin was trying to get into medicine and had problems with depression as a 20 yr old. Very very well to do family of doctors. His condition was not known beyond his immediate family. Yesterday he ended it all .... by jumping in front of a train. Untreated depression can be lethal.

Last edited:
dude get treated, the school won't keep a "closer eye on you".

Get help. Immediately. You are clearly talented and capable enough to be accepted into medical school, so take the time to invest in yourself and get the help you need. You're potentially facing a lifelong issue here and now is the best time to get established so you can enjoy a rewarding life and career. Good luck. Cheers.

Actually, some of the licensing apps do require you to list ANY psych dx.

Also, and I can't say how widespread this is, medical boards absolutely can subpoena ALL your medical records.

If you apply and say you have a psych dx, part of "slowing down" your app process absolutely can be the board now asking for a release to review all your records. If you refuse, you will not be licensed.

Now, if you're already licensed, you've already agreed to whatever terms are involved. So if you're practicing with that license, and later they want to review your medical records, you don't get to say no. They subpoena if they're inclined.
See, this is confusing...would you necessarily know if you had a psych Dx? Do you get one when you see a therapist? A psychiatrist? I assume if you've been inpatient, you probably had to have one for insurance purposes, but that doesn't mean you know what it is. How do you disclose something that you aren't told? It doesn't seem as discrete as, say "have you ever been arrested" or "have you ever been convicted of a crime".

Interesting comments in this thread.

Seeking psychiatric help can get you in trouble. Apparently psychiatrists have a duty to report you if they think you are unfit to practice medicine.

I know this because it happened to one of my attendings when he sought help for his mental health issues. The psychiatrist reported him to the medical board as unfit to practice medicine and a threat to his patients. He had to see a medical board appointed psychiatrist, and had to go through lengthy impatient treatment before getting reinstated. And now it has certainly limited his employment options.

I can feel your Pain nets445. Sounds like you are unhappy with many things. May I tell you one thing, People will also judge you for no reasons. Depression is an exceptionally difficult and all expending issue all by itself. Be that as it may, in combination with a dietary problem, depression is beyond devastating and is frequently masked inside the dietary issue itself. One should consult some professional help like ***** They can listen to your Problems and can give you solutions that will help you overcome your Problems.

Last edited by a moderator: