DepoDur--Thought?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevo85288

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have had some serious cases of respiratory derpression while using 10mg of depodur in elderly (>75yr) pts for TKA. Nothing bad, just some Narcan and ICU monitoring. I have decided now to withold Depodur in pt over the age of 75. I generally perform a FNB or FNC in all my TKA pts. With Depdur they usually don't require any IV analgesia in the first 18-24 hrs.

I was hoping you guys could share some of your experiences with Depodur dosing, pt, selection, etc, esp for TKA.

Thanks in advance.
S

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get that , do u mean u think u got respiratory depression from Depodur and u reversed that effect with Narcan ??
it has nothing to do with either

at our institution, we recently decided that the risks generally outweigh the benefits, and have voluntarily suspended its usage. no respiratory depression events necessitating icu stays, but we saw an increase in urticaria, inadequately controlled pain, and prolonged need for patient surveillance. just wasn't worth it from a patient benefit standpoint.

at our institution, we recently decided that the risks generally outweigh the benefits, and have voluntarily suspended its usage. no respiratory depression events necessitating icu stays, but we saw an increase in urticaria, inadequately controlled pain, and prolonged need for patient surveillance. just wasn't worth it from a patient benefit standpoint.

Same here, Too much trouble and no extra benifits, even the data published by the manufactorer is not very impressive.
Also it's contra-indicated intrathecally so if you get an inadverent dural puncture or a lawyer decides that you did, you are into it to the knees!