Depaul Info...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mjs853

Hello everyone,

Since I just started looking into pre-healthcare courses, I just realized that I have missed deadlines for most schools already. Thus, I am thinking about applying to Depaul(deadline for fall is August 1) for some post-bac courses. Any thoughts or suggestions on how many and which courses would be best. I have a BBA in Como. Info Sys. but that was 6 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

mjs853 said:
Hello everyone,

Since I just started looking into pre-healthcare courses, I just realized that I have missed deadlines for most schools already. Thus, I am thinking about applying to Depaul(deadline for fall is August 1) for some post-bac courses. Any thoughts or suggestions on how many and which courses would be best. I have a BBA in Como. Info Sys. but that was 6 years ago.

You're not too late for Loyola's premed postbac program.... Any reason you prefer DePaul to Loyola? Just curious (since it doesn't seem that DePaul has a "program"). Thanks

Hi Pheonix1, good to hear from you again!

Seemed like De Paul would be a little less expensive. Loyola is $500 per hour. Went to UIC today - it will cost $3,200 for two classes :-( getting a little depressed now...

Have an appointment with Loyola Dir of Prehealth adv dpt on wednesday to try to figure out how everything will work out. Math is going to be an issue for me.. I took precalc back in the day and got a 'B' but now I don't know if I remember enough to take a placement test.

Also, did you find any info on their financial aid programs for the post bac majors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I haven't had algebra (or any math) since high school, and I never even took precalc or trig. Northwestern's premed postbac program REQUIRES a recent math course, so I nixed them. At least with Loyola, you can study the material yourself and just place out the week before you start Chem.

They said that if I take the test and don't place out, I could take the prereq math class at the same time as the science classes, but I'm really hoping I'll place out. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but to take Chem you either need to place INTO precalc (pass math 117), or place OUT of precalc (pass math 118). oh, and technically you only need to score a C. Also, I don't believe you need to take the math placement test for physics (although it's "recommended").

Here's the info on their math placement test, which has sample questions and suggested study materials:

http://www.math.luc.edu/mathplacement/

I have an appointment with Loyola's advisor on Thursday, so I'll know more then. But if you get a chance, post if you get an good info from the advisor. Also, does DePaul have any type of support for premed postbac students? Like a committee letter of rec?

I haven't looked into financial aid yet, but if you have any good info/links feel free to share. Unfortunately I've got a lot of work today, and can't look it up.

phoenix1 said:
But here's the general info on Loyola's financial aid programs:

http://www.luc.edu/finaid/programs.shtml

my bad, I thought my appt was wednesday...but the 14th is actually thursday with Jim Johnson. With whom do you have an appt.? Also, I just spoke to P. Deters, she seemed a little confused why I had an appt scheduled when I haven't applied to the school yet...what I was trying to get across was that since I have been out of the game for so long, I really need to talk to somebody about where I stand and what I need to do to get started. Just felt like I was going in circles with her...

mjs853 said:
my bad, I thought my appt was wednesday...but the 14th is actually thursday with Jim Johnson. With whom do you have an appt.? Also, I just spoke to P. Deters, she seemed a little confused why I had an appt scheduled when I haven't applied to the school yet...what I was trying to get across was that since I have been out of the game for so long, I really need to talk to somebody about where I stand and what I need to do to get started. Just felt like I was going in circles with her...

Yes, my appointment is with JJ too. PD is very nice, but my first conversation with her sounded about the same as yours - very circular. But once I explained my situation to her and chatted a bit, she seemed to get what I was interested in learning about the progarm, and became much more helpful.

From what I understand, JJ is the head of the prehealth department, but he usually only advises undergrads (the usual postbac premed advisor was unavailable). However, PD said that he has advised postbacs in the past. Also, I believe JJ usually only speaks with students after they've entered the program, but PD said he would speak with me even though I haven't been accepted yet (I have applied, but my transcripts are still unavailable).

[You know, if you're considering starting in the fall, you might want to start your application process now. It seems to take a few weeks to get transcripts in.... And since you need to sign up for classes asap and they start at the end of August, that'll be tight. That's why PD suggested I initially apply as a non-degree seeking student (no transcripts required) and register for the classes I want before getting into the premed postbac program. I think there's a $25 application fee.]

Regardless, I highly recommend that you call your undergraduate school's prehealth advising counselor. Univ of Michigan was happy to advise me since I was an alum (I actually got that advice from the admissions dept. of Northwestern Med School). Let me know how it goes!

Hey Phoenix1,

I just met with J. Johnson at Loyola yesterday. He seemed very helpful. If you met with him as well, we probably have the same info right about now. I am thinking of applying to Loyola for the spring semester for now. I will take pre calc at oakton in the fall just because my math is soooo rusty! Or, I could take Bio I at loyola (already have 5 bio courses from before but they are too old now) as an undecided major and Precalc at Oakton. He said if I take Bio I in Fall, the lab will be in the spring. Then will take chem I in Srping as well. Going out of town tomorrow, so I will apply after I get back on Monday.

He said in order to get in, you need a min of 3.0 undergrad GPA. Applying for spring may get tricky he said because it gets hard to take more than one science class in summer. He also mentioned that MCAT will be offered more often starting sometime soon. That's pretty much the gist of it. If you have any more info, could you share?