Dentists who graduated with $500,000+ in debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okabe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you managing? Do you regret the decision to pursue dentistry with such a heavy price tag? I am asking this because I can never find a crystal clear answer. Some say it’s manageable and worth it, while others are shouting not to go unless you get into a cheap school. Any/all advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are you managing? Do you regret the decision to pursue dentistry with such a heavy price tag? I am asking this because I can never find a crystal clear answer. Some say it’s manageable and worth it, while others are shouting not to go unless you get into a cheap school. Any/all advice would be helpful.
It all depends on how well you can do afterwards. I graduated with just over 500k and did well enough for a while that I thought it was totally worth it. So worth it that I decided to take out another 240k and go back to specialize in endo haha. For others though that are in a super saturated area, or just work as associates making under 180k, they would probably say it isn't worth it.
But again, from my perspective it has totally been worth it. Yeah, it would have been a lot nicer to have less loans, but it's worth the tradeoff for me because I get to do what I like and I really don't know what I would have done if I didn't get accepted into dental school. Even if I had stayed a GP instead of specializing, I still would have been happy with my choice to go to an expensive dental school over nothing at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, I see you got into Roseman? If so, that's where I went too! I loved it there. Hopefully it still has the same vibe it did when I was there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on how well you can do afterwards. I graduated with just over 500k and did well enough for a while that I thought it was totally worth it. So worth it that I decided to take out another 240k and go back to specialize in endo haha. For others though that are in a super saturated area, or just work as associates making under 180k, they would probably say it isn't worth it.
But again, from my perspective it has totally been worth it. Yeah, it would have been a lot nicer to have less loans, but it's worth the tradeoff for me because I get to do what I like and I really don't know what I would have done if I didn't get accepted into dental school. Even if I had stayed a GP instead of specializing, I still would have been happy with my choice to go to an expensive dental school over nothing at all.
Just curious what number you would say is well enough to be worth it

Just curious what number you would say is well enough to be worth it
I averaged around 350k my last 3 years, so probably that much haha. Although I think if you can get above 275k, then at that point the loan amount stops hurting so much. You have more than enough to pay loans, save money, and live a decent life.

Reactions: 2 users
I averaged around 350k my last 3 years, so probably that much haha. Although I think if you can get above 275k, then at that point the loan amount stops hurting so much. You have more than enough to pay loans, save money, and live a decent life.
you are saying you made around 350k your last three years? did you graduate three years ago? is this from being an associate? pp or dso? middle of nowhere? thanks!

One of my classmates (class of 2021) is on track to make $350k his first year working for a big DSO. He works really really hard, it’s not uncommon for him to be at work for 12 hours straight, running 3-4 columns of patients. 5 days/week and 2-3 Saturdays a month. If you really want the money in dentistry, there are definitely ways to make it.

One of my classmates (class of 2021) is on track to make $350k his first year working for a big DSO. He works really really hard, it’s not uncommon for him to be at work for 12 hours straight, running 3-4 columns of patients. 5 days/week and 2-3 Saturdays a month. If you really want the money in dentistry, there are definitely ways to make it.
I think I elected to not go into medicine for this reason

Reactions: 4 users
you are saying you made around 350k your last three years? did you graduate three years ago? is this from being an associate? pp or dso? middle of nowhere? thanks!
I worked for a smallish dso in Phoenix, Arizona and graduated in 2016. Did 305k the first full year, then 325k, and then that 3 year average of 350k. We were similar in working 11 hour days, but only did 3 days a week instead of 5. I would have died if I had to do five 12 hour days a week!

Definitely possible.

Sounds awful and a recipe for back pain and burnout in the long run.

I came into this gig to have more days off in a week than I work

Definitely possible.

Sounds awful and a recipe for back pain and burnout in the long run.

I came into this gig to have more days off in a week than I work
You don't have to do this in the long run. At 26 -30, you should be able to work like this because you are healthy and have zero back problem. With just 4 years of hard work (at $350k/year), you should accomplish a lot.....like cutting the student loan in half, open your own practie without taking out additional loan, buying a first house etc. At 30, with less debt, you can afford to cut down the work hours per day and work days per week to allow your hands and back to recover. By your mid 30s and early 40s, you should have zero debt and start enjoying a lifestyle of a dentist/doctor.......for the next 30-40 (or more) of your life. Many of my 40-50 year old dental colleagues are enjoy their lives right now. They used to work 6-7 days/wk when they were young new grads. I still work 5 days/week because I enjoy working. I don't have a lot of hobbies. It's boring staying home. Today, I only have 38 patients and only work from 1:30pm-4pm.

Last edited:
I worked for a smallish dso in Phoenix, Arizona and graduated in 2016. Did 305k the first full year, then 325k, and then that 3 year average of 350k. We were similar in working 11 hour days, but only did 3 days a week instead of 5. I would have died if I had to do five 12 hour days a week!
12 hour days but 3 days per week doesn’t sound bad at all.

Reactions: 2 users
12 hour days but 3 days per week doesn’t sound bad at all.
It was seriously the best. I don't think I would have ever left that place if it weren't for going back to specialize. I'd love to have the same type of schedule after I'm done with residency. I loved having 4 days off a week.

It was seriously the best. I don't think I would have ever left that place if it weren't for going back to specialize. I'd love to have the same type of schedule after I'm done with residency. I loved having 4 days off a week.
What was the bulk of your procedures back at the DSO? Crowns?
Can u refer stuff you’re not comfortable doing?

What was the bulk of your procedures back at the DSO? Crowns?
Can u refer stuff you’re not comfortable doing?
We did pretty much everything we were comfortable with except for placing implants. We even did our own hygiene! We stuck to solid bread and butter dentistry and quadrant dentistry. Lots of fills, exts and SRPs and rct b/u had crowns. We were hot very crown heavy unless there was a genuine need for it or after root canals. And we ran each office as if it were our own. We did our own hiring and firing and training. And anything that we didn't feel comfortable doing, we could refer, no problem.