Dentistry's future prospects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drew28982898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to try and keep this as concise as possible, sticking to several factors. I am a rising sophomore at a large state university in NC. I have been wanting to pursue healthcare my entire life, but more specifically gained interest in the field of dentistry a few years ago while shadowing in high school. I have always been the type to plan as much as possible and research, and this has led me to lots and lots of posts about how dentistry is dying and that its too oversaturated, paired with the insane 400k-600k debt (Hopefully possibly attending UNC or ECU would keep this lower). All these factors make it seem like dentistry isn't the dream career everyone (especially my South Asian parents) had painted it as.

I really just want a career that has good work-life balance, and is financially secure enough to set up my family well (including parents). Will pursuing dentistry during this oversaturated time mean I can't live in a suburb of a large metro (NY, Boston, Chicago, etc.) or in an area such as Charlotte, NC without sacrificing a lot of potential success? I've also been seeing that the retirement age of dentists is pushing 70, are all these dentists actually fully practicing or do they have associates primarily working the practice? I've just been over thinking my life, and have been getting told that the better jobs and income are in compsci and finance careers. I'm still early enough in my Biology degree that I could switch if needed. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Even in an over-saturated area, you’ll be making a very comfortable income. Dentistry isn’t dying at all, it’s growing, but some places are saturated. The problem is that too many WON’T retire and they hire associates.

On a different note, success is measured differently. For some, working 4 days a week and pulling in 175k is success. For others, working really hard and making 500k is success. It all depends on your life style and aptitude in making smart business decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not too late for you to switch into nursing to become CRNA

Reactions: 1 user