Dentistry Mentoring Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Phan,
I have Master's degree in electrical engineering with GPA of 3.71 in Master and 3.70 in BS. I would like to change my career to dentistry. I have more than 5 years of experience in engineering and I did some researches in my graduate years but I didn't publish any papers. Somebody told me that if I want to get dental admission I have to have some papers published. IS that true? What should I do to make sure that I will get the admission? I am studying for DAT now. How many hours of shadowing a dentist should I have for my application?
Thanks,

Hello Mary,

"Papers published" for dental admission? No, that is not true. You need to do well on the DAT and with your excellent GPA, you should be able to gain admission. You should inquire about the number of shadowing hours required with the schools you plan to apply. DP

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Dr. Phan,
I will be beginning my junior year and will be finishing up taking the pre-requisite science courses these next two semesters. However, i must take Microbiology or Biochemistry during the Summer 1 term of 2015. Will having to attend Summer School weaken my application as I plan on applying at that time even though I have a strong GPA and plenty of extracurriculars?
Thank you for your time.

Since you are beginning your third year, I would wait until everything is completed before I start my application. But you can apply at anytime. DP

Hello Dr. Phan,

You have provided outstanding guidance to other questions and I hope you can contribute your wisdom to my situation. I am a non traditional student. I have an associates of science in nursing and I am an RN. However, I have not practiced nursing in years as I have been dedicated to providing a secure home to three children and my husband who is active duty military. He is still active duty, but is getting close to retiring and I would like like to go back to school. I have always talked about becoming a dentist and I worked part time (several years ago) in a dental clinic. I will likely be about 36 when applying for dental school. I don't see this as "too old" at all, but I am concerned about my past education. While my previous GPA is 3.8 and many science classes in my past, some of my credits are more than 10 years old. Having the transient lifestyle that the military provides, it has been difficult to commit to complete my bachelors. When I go on to complete my bachelors, should I retake those general core classes or should I continue on? I don't want to be excluded from being a competitive applicant because my chemistry credit is too old. Do you have any thoughts? Thank you for considering my question and your guidance!

Greetings,
You should check with the application service to determine how old the core courses are allowed to be. Even if they are allowed, do you still remember much to do well in the DAT and that's another thing to consider. Having a RN and good GPA is a plus in your case. Age wise, it is not too late because you will be 40 when you graduate and that means you will have at least another 25 years to practice. You need to get all the facts before you proceed because of your late start. Whatever you do, you have to minimize the amount of debt because it will take at least 10 years to pay it off. It will make no sense if you end up working in next 25 years just to pay off the loans. Dental school tuition is out of control and I can't see it slowing down in anyway shape or form. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Dr. Phan,

I have recently been researching the upcoming changes to the DAT. I read that there will be substantial changes, such as the elimination of trig and the addition of statistical reasoning problems, in the QR section, as well as having a more comprehensive approach to the Bio section. I am having some difficult in finding a concrete answer of when these changes will actually take place. I was wondering if you knew anything about these changes. Also, what would be the best way to prepare for them? I am planning on taking the DAT at the beginning of 2015. However, none of the study materials I have found seem to be inclusive of the DAT updates.

Thank you so much. Any help at all is appreciated.

Dr. Phan! Thank you so much for this invaluable resource. I wish I had come across this a couple of years ago. I applied to dental school this cycle and am quite nervous about it. Hopefully my scores are competitive enough to get a couple of interviews.
My question however is about the future of dentistry. I have asked a number of dentists about the growing industry of corporate dentistry, and I have received answers ranging from both extremes (corporate dentistry will completely take over private practice in the next decade, and corporate dentistry is only going to remain a small percent of the overall dental field.) What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the private practice model will continue to provide the vast majority of services over the next 50 years?

Once again, thank you!!

I would like some advice from you doctor. I have a long story but sum it up. Went to undergraduate here then applied to dental school got wait listed then went to dental school overseas and finished but got screwed by the ministry of health of the country I went to school at because I don't speak their native language. So now I have a degree but don't have all the paperwork to apply as a advance standing. I want to apply in the four year program like I did before. What do you think?? Should i talk about the overseas program?? I am looking for mentorship. If this is possible that would be great.

Hi Dr. Dai Phan,

I need some guidance in my predental career. I have graduated with 2.6 overall gpa and a bs in biology. What do you suggest is the best option to increase my academic credentials in order to be a better applicant for dental school?

Postbac or Masters program?

How do dental schools look at you if you have completed a Masters program and have done really well...as I plan to do so. Can they still reject you by looking at my undergrad gpa?

Hello Dr. Phan. I am a Pre-Dental student and am currently seeking admission into Dental School. I have some questions for you about my record and my plan to market myself for admission. I am still new to the SDN community but is there a way for students to send you a personal message on this forum? I have some questions for you however I wanted to keep them private for now if at all possible. Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thanks so much.

Dr. Phan,
Thanks for all your tips and recommendations for dental students. I am a foreign dentist and I was wondering, if you would have some time available to read my one page personal statement. I apply last year, but I didn't hear anything from the universities. I would like to see your feed back.
Thanks in advance,

can you have a list of all the classes you took from ds1-ds4

Dr. Phan,

I'm glad I found this informative thread. Thanks for helping everyone who's interested in dental school. I'm in a cross road between whether I should be choosing a better or higher ranking university to finish my undergrad in Biochemistry. I have a 3.8 GPA from a 2 year college, and I'm waiting to either transfer to GA Tech or UCLA in one year, or go to a state university this coming Spring.
My question is:
How important do you think undergrad school is for dental school admission?
Is it true that a 3.5 GPA from a better school like GA Tech is evaluated higher than other schools? if taking the similar courses that meet the dental school admission requirements.
Thank you.

Hello all,

Please feel free to ask me any questions about dentistry as a career and school/residency related issues. Please note that many of your answers can be found in the Dental Forum section also. Submit your inquiries and I will answer them promptly. I am glad to be at your service. DP

Dr. Phan,
I would be very greatful for an oppertunity to ask you some questions concerning you career choice and different experiences you have had in your career.

Thanks.

Dr. Phan or really anybody,
I have a question concerning GPAs and likely hood of getting into dental school. Currently I'ma male sstudent taking dental assisting classes. I love it, but I feel like its not stimulating enough for me. I want to try and get into dental school my science grades are pretty good but I was at one point a business major and I did poorly due to issues going on in my life and a general hatred for my business school. I've always said I'm smart enough to do whatever I want but I'm scared. I don't want to try and do all the pre reqs and not get in. I guess my question is should I be worried about the business school ruining my chances of getting into dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Dr.Phan,
First of all, I would like to thanks for your outstanding guidance about dentistry. I have a few questions concerning GPAs and DAT exam. I just graduated and planning to apply for dental school cycle of 2016. My overall GPA is 3. 62 and I had 2 C's. I retook one of the classes and got an A (Immunology 400 level). I'm worry that my GPA is not high enough to get accepted. Regarding of the dental application, I'm planning to summit my application first without having the DAT score in July because I'm taking my DAT in Early August. Do you think I have a slim chance of getting accepted to dental school?

Dear Dr.Phan,
First of all, I would like to thanks for your outstanding guidance about dentistry. I have a few questions concerning GPAs and DAT exam. I just graduated and planning to apply for dental school cycle of 2016. My overall GPA is 3. 62 and I had 2 C's. I retook one of the classes and got an A (Immunology 400 level). I'm worry that my GPA is not high enough to get accepted. Regarding of the dental application, I'm planning to summit my application first without having the DAT score in July because I'm taking my DAT in Early August. Do you think I have a slim chance of getting accepted to dental school?

Your GPA is great, check out the average stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-ranking-of-ds-based-on-dat-gpa-other.1137667/

Your chances are way better than "slim" assuming you get a decent DAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a rising senior at Vanderbilt University. I'm an undergraduate research assistant studying sexual addiction. I'm involved with multiple boards at my school from my fraternity to religious life on campus. I'm applying to dental school this cycle with about a 3.2 (my school is tough) and a 22 AA, 19 PAT, QR 23, RC 24, Bio 19, GC 22, OC 21, TS 22. What are your thoughts on acceptance to dental school? I'm a social person so I don't feel I should have much trouble at the interview stage because I feel as though I'm a likable guy (or that's at least what my parents' friends tell me haha). Thank you!

Dr. Phan,

I just took the DAT and I am worried. My scores are:
21 AA
22TS
23 Orgo
23 Chem
20 Bio
15 PAT
18 QR
20 RC

sGPA 3.4 oGPA 3.7
400 Hospital volunteer Hours
300 Dental Assistant Hours
100 Gen Shadowing Hours
100 Perio Shadowing Hours
500 Ortho Shadowing Hours

Do you think I need to retake the exam just because of the PAT section? I would hate to study again and do worse on the other sections.

Hello all,

Please feel free to ask me any questions about dentistry as a career and school/residency related issues. Please note that many of your answers can be found in the Dental Forum section also. Submit your inquiries and I will answer them promptly. I am glad to be at your service. DP

Hello,
I am a junior in University of California, Los Angeles working towards a BA. I just recently started taking the required courses and although the subjects are a bit of a squeeze, I am using my summers to take as many courses, especially general and organic chemistry at my 4-year university. My GPA is 3.68 and I was wondering would it be a completely bad idea to take some courses such as physics in a community college after I graduate?

Also, as I am a bit late on the schedule, when is a good time to take the DAT? I was thinking after I finish all my courses and I may have to wait a year before entry into a dental school.

Hello,
I am a junior in University of California, Los Angeles working towards a BA. I just recently started taking the required courses and although the subjects are a bit of a squeeze, I am using my summers to take as many courses, especially general and organic chemistry at my 4-year university. My GPA is 3.68 and I was wondering would it be a completely bad idea to take some courses such as physics in a community college after I graduate?

Also, as I am a bit late on the schedule, when is a good time to take the DAT? I was thinking after I finish all my courses and I may have to wait a year before entry into a dental school.
Physics at a community college shouldn't hurt you. Take your upper level sciences at a college or university though.

Hello..

I am an Internationally trained dentist, preparing for nbde part 1 right now. I want to know about shadowing and volunteering opportunities. I have heard that gaining shadwing experience from a dental school is better than gaining one from a local dentist? Is it so? I suppose, shadowing both are of equal importance. Secondly, I was trying to get in touch with VCU for shadowing experience but they told that they accept only dental and pre-dental students. Last but not the least, I am looking for some shadowing opportunity in new york and I don't know how to proceed? Can anyone guide whether how to find a dentist or a hospital or any dental school to shadow?
P.S.. I have a visitor visa for US and is one allowed to get involved in such shadowing thing under this category of visa? Please help!!

Hello, I'm a 2nd year college student who just decided to Persue dentistry. I've taken a few science class that fulfill the requirements for dental school .
Example:
Fall 2014
Physics 2B - B
Statistics- A
Accounting 1B- A
Total units - 13

Spring 2015
Bio 1 - A
Intro to chemistry- A
Medical terminology-A
Weight training- A
Total units: 12.5 units

Summer 2015
CHEM 1 A - A
Total units: 5

Fall 2015

CHEM 1B - B
Health education - A
Psychology 1 - A
Weight training - A
Total units 12

Spring 2016

Bio 02- in progress
Physics 2B - in progress
Sports history- in progress
Total units 12 units

So in fall of 2016 I will be transferring to University with 1 year of biology, physics and general chemistry. I'm worried that dental schools will see that I'm not taking to many science courses per semester and will not accept me because of this factor.

My major is health and exercise science and therefore doesn't require to many biology or chemistry classes. of course I will take Ochem and a course in biochem. Anatomy and physiology are required for my major and that's the extent of the science classes that I will take for my major.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you:)

Hi Dr. Dai Phan, I am currently the grade 11 student, I am going to live in Virginia after I finish grade 12, I want to study Orthodontic dentist university degree in US, I would ask for your advise on what do I need to prepare for my application, which university should I take, how long do I need to study to complete the dentist orthodontic degree in US... Thank you very much for your prompt advisory

Hello all,

Dr. P/Other Dentists,
I'm at a decision point in my life and am trying to decide whether my goal is realistic. I am currently an officer in the navy and serving in my sea tour. I do not like the incredible instability of my schedule and the strain this places on myself and my family. When that is complete (in 2.5 yrs) I will begin my shore tour (3 yrs long) where I was hoping to complete my predental undergrad sciences and apply to dental school. I am currently 27, married, and have a baby on the way. My undergrad degree was in speech, language, and hearing science with a 3.2 gpa, so I know I would have to crush those couses to raise my gpa. My wife planned to work while/if I am in dental school to pay the bills (she is a speech pathologist). So what do you think? Is this a realistic goal or would I simply be putting myself in an incredible amount of debt without the time left in my career to pay it back and make a comfortable living/retirement?

Dr. P/Other Dentists,
I'm at a decision point in my life and am trying to decide whether my goal is realistic. I am currently an officer in the navy and serving in my sea tour. I do not like the incredible instability of my schedule and the strain this places on myself and my family. When that is complete (in 2.5 yrs) I will begin my shore tour (3 yrs long) where I was hoping to complete my predental undergrad sciences and apply to dental school. I am currently 27, married, and have a baby on the way. My undergrad degree was in speech, language, and hearing science with a 3.2 gpa, so I know I would have to crush those couses to raise my gpa. My wife planned to work while/if I am in dental school to pay the bills (she is a speech pathologist). So what do you think? Is this a realistic goal or would I simply be putting myself in an incredible amount of debt without the time left in my career to pay it back and make a comfortable living/retirement?
You're in a good spot. 3 years is plenty of time to knock out your prereqs. In fact, if you could start it now ( which I know is tough on sea duty) you could probably get HPSP/HSCP and not even finish your shore tour.
Are you on your 2nd DIVO tour?

Hello all,

Hello Dr. Dai Phan,
I graduated with overall gpa 2.89 from Geography, my BCP is 3.08 . I work full time with a reputable agency . I feel like I have settled for my current situation. Initially, my sibling and i had plans to go to Pharmacy,I flopped in some of my classes in college so I could apply to Pharmacy school.My sibling is in her 2nd. I am married at 30 but I feel that I should give this old aspiration a chance. i have read about dentistry and pharmacy and settled on dentistry. I am considering retaking the science classes that I earned C's in a community college around here. What do you suggest I do to help my chances? Do I even stand a chance? I made mostly B's and some A's in my science courses. I made C's in Genetics and BIO 1404. I also made a C in OChem II lab. Thank you!

Hello,

I am a bit non-trad..
undergrad cum gap: 3.37 (roughly the same for sci gpa)
grad gpa: 4.0 (Masters Health Science)
currently doing research and shadowing (~150 hours under dentist) and have published 2 papers in dental journals.
I haven't shadowed in a private practice/under general dentist yet, but plan to have ~50 hours by this application cycle.
I'm studying for the dat now, but tend to have a difficult time with these standardized tests. If I can pull off a decent dat score, am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am a bit non-trad..
currently doing research and shadowing (~150 hours under dentist) and have published 2 papers in dental journals.
I haven't shadowed in a private practice/under general dentist yet, but plan to have ~50 hours by this application cycle.
I'm studying for the dat now, but tend to have a difficult time with these standardized tests. If I can pull off a decent dat score, am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Looking good! Shoot for a 20+ on DAT and get 80 or so shadowing hours and you should be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
You're in a good spot. 3 years is plenty of time to knock out your prereqs. In fact, if you could start it now ( which I know is tough on sea duty) you could probably get HPSP/HSCP and not even finish your shore tour.
Are you on your 2nd DIVO tour?
Thank you for the reply! I am on my first JO tour (first three yrs in operational squadron) before I go to shore duty. I would like to take classes now; however, it would not be possible with the chaos of my schedule as many of the prereqs require you to be physically present (which makes sense for labs). So far I think I will be leaning on the GI Bill for that so that I can return to the stability of civilian life for the family with the career change.

Hello,

I am a bit non-trad..

Thanks!

You're looking good! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello Dr. Phan,

I had a question about what sets dental schools apart? I recently decided I would attempt to apply to dental school and am a little lost on how one goes about distinguishing a good dental school from a bad one. With the kinds of things you hear about Boston University with its lack of a student centered environment and NYU being no more than a money making engine i get very worried about what kind of school to apply to. I am a normal student. Have a 3.45bcp gpa and a 3.1 ogpa. I want to be a good dentist, in your opinion do all schools tend to prepare students well for the career?

People keep suggesting i apply to ' low ranking ' schools because of my less than competitive gpa. but they all cost the same. Will they be bad schools.. And if so is there any point in attending?

I think i am capable of a good DAT score and my confidence is really hanging on this belief as i apply to so called good schools, but if i don't get in would you recommend me just not attend the so called bad schools?

but if i don't get in would you recommend me just not attend the so called bad schools?

Others will be more than happy to take that acceptance if you don't. "Low ranking" doesn't matter as long as it is accredited by CODA which oversees all dental program standards.

Hello all,

Hi Dr., thank you so much for offering this!
In undergrad, if I were to have EMT (Emergency medical technician) as my EC, would that help or hurt my chances of getting into dental school since it's not related to dentistry? It would give me an income unlike many dental experiences, or should my ECs basically all focus on being dentistry related?

Hello all,

Dr. Phan,

I am pursuing a BS degreee in biochemistry online. Would that be a disadvantage when applying for dental school?
Kind Regards,
Sandra

but they all cost the same.
the costs actually vary widely, and in my opinion that is the most important criteria in deciding where to attend, as long as it's a city you can stand to live for 4yrs! At the end you'll be a dentist no matter what the ranking... and you'll still have a lot to learn once in the field. There's a learning curve no matter where you graduate from.