Dentistry in India.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silly_boy2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am senior in high school in Washington State. I have a 3.3 cumulative GPA, 1300 on SAT, and 27 on ACT. I have applied to many of Ivy-leagues and have been accepted only by a fraction of those whom I applied to. So I have decided to do dentistry in India simply because I am too downhearted to study here after rejection from Harvard. Besides, it is cheaper there.

My question is: what do I have to do to secure a position as a ortho when I come back after completing my degree in India? By that I mean what procedures (i.e. tests) do I have go through? What chances do I have in becoming a ortho in the U.S., considering that I maintained a great GPA during college.

If anyone is kind enough to answer this question, then do so by emailing me at: [email protected].

Thanks,
Rich

Members don't see this ad.

the majority of foreign dentists must go through 'some sort' of dental education. there are 5 foreign dentists in 2'nd year in my class. i suggest you stay here in the US because it would be a waste of time and money to go to india.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by silly_boy2001:
I am senior in high school in Washington State. I have a 3.3 cumulative GPA, 1300 on SAT, and 27 on ACT. I have applied to many of Ivy-leagues and have been accepted only by a fraction of those whom I applied to. So I have decided to do dentistry in India simply because I am too downhearted to study here after rejection from Harvard. Besides, it is cheaper there.

My question is: what do I have to do to secure a position as a ortho when I come back after completing my degree in India? By that I mean what procedures (i.e. tests) do I have go through? What chances do I have in becoming a ortho in the U.S., considering that I maintained a great GPA during college.

If anyone is kind enough to answer this question, then do so by emailing me at: [email protected].

Thanks,
Rich

Foreign educated dentists, whether US citizens or not, have to go through two years of additional clinical training to become licensed. What grades you earned in college are then irrelevant to your ability to get the specialty you want. As a foreign educated dentist, you are also likely to be at the end of the line for specialty training.

Bluntly stated, your attitude is foolish. You see the name "Harvard" but I will bet that you don't have a clue to the nature of the Harvard dental education and what they prepare graduates for or even why they were not interested in you.

The problem in the US is that we have a hierarchical system enabling dental patients to choose the best qualified dentists. Your business card will show not only your name and address and speciality, but also where you graduated from dental school. Thus, potential patients can select the best dentists, secure in the knowledge that they are getting the best. Of course the best can charge the highest fees. There is a sliding scale of income according to where a dentist went to dental school. Pity the poor, incompetent dentists who graduated from low ranked dental schools grubbing for patients, and pity the ecomomically poor patients who have to use these bottom of the barrel dentists because they are only ones they can afford.

Grow up and get over it. If it is the prestige you are looking for you can easily buy a fake diploma with Harvard on it and hang it in your office. Your patients will look on you in awe because of course they all know that a Harvard graduate is the best there is.

You don't get into Harvard so you go to India to become labeled as a foreign educated dentist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gower,
u r right in imparting the knowledge that a highly reputed institute attracts the best patients , but attracting patients & maintaining clients is altogether different thing . u can attract patients by degree , type of school , & everything else but then they will check the type of treatment u r providing . if it happens to be good then they will refer you the other patients & MIND u the best clientage comes from patient referral whether it is America or India .
Thanks & Regards
Dr Thind
www.thind.com

That was sarcasm about the importance of where a dentist goes to dental school as any indication of competence. A pity that I never learned that name calling is an adult and very effective way of refuting arguments and facts. Why didn't anybody clue me in? I am chastened and realize now for the first time what a child I have been, learning nothing after 42 years as a professional. If the lad wants to go to dental school in India, by all means he should go. When he returns and if he becomes licensed in the US after two more years of education, surely patients will beat a path to his door because of the prestige value of his Indian degree, as familiar and meaningful as a Harvard DMD.

I am a pitiful example of how even a PhD can remain in ignorance of how to argue effectively for one's position. My parents' fault, damn them, for keeping me in ignorance of curse words and never even learning them after 3 years in the military and a combat infantryman during WWII. How wise the Bible: "And a little child shall lead them."

Hey Guys...I am from San Diego...I went to study Dentistry in India....I went to MP dental College in Baroda city....It took me 5 years to complete the course. After that I gave NBDE part I and got admitted to NYU...while at NYU I gave NBDE part II...and the California licencing...other friends went to Manipal college of dental sciences and Bapuji Dental college....

Thanks,
Rich

This post is almost too good to be true. I cannot believe what I am reading. :laugh:

Thanks,
Rich
This makes absolutely no sense...You're sad about a college rejecting you so you're going to live in India for the next couple years studying dentistry?

Guys... it's a 9 yr old post. Holy ressurection

Status
Not open for further replies.