dental shadow etiquette?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the first day of dentist shadowing I'm wondering if walking out with the dental team when the office closes is something you'd do as a volunteer. It seems with friends it is a good protective action to be the last person to leave but Im wondering if that's weird or if dentist actually prefer the last 10-15 minutes with the actual staff to run down the checklists or whatever.

any other helpful advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

On the first day of dentist shadowing I'm wondering if walking out with the dental team when the office closes is something you'd do as a volunteer. It seems with friends it is a good protective action to be the last person to leave but Im wondering if that's weird or if dentist actually prefer the last 10-15 minutes with the actual staff to run down the checklists or whatever.

I’ve shadowed a ton and typically the dentist lets me know when the day is over and we speak about when I’ll be coming in again. I always leave before the staff does. When the final procedure is finished, I ask any questions I may have and then I leave. I’ve shadowed at a couple places where I didn’t get a good vibe from the dentist or the patients and I just don’t go back, but of course you always thank them for the opportunity to observe.

Unless you want to help them clean and take out the trash, you can leave when the last patient is done

i usually just said my goodbyes when the last paitient left