dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i am a prospective dental student for year 2000. i applied to a number of schools, but the choices have been pretty much narrowed down to three schools: Tufts Univ. Case Western Reserve Univ. in Cleveland, Ohio, and Univ. of Southern California.
i'd like to hear from students who are attendig those schools. i'd like to know about programs, student bodies, workloads, faculties, etc.
i have a friend who went to tufts dental school and he complained that tufts "work you to death".
he was unhappy that he had to go to school on weekends for lab works.
if you have anything, i'd be grateful.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey stop complaining! , im only a first year dental student, today ive just finished my week of mid-sessional exams and I' ve literally been up 3 nights in a row revising till Ive dropped.

To become a succesful dental surgeon however, u have to experience as much as possible!

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer from med school to dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Catherine:
Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer from med school to dental school?

Catherine, if you want to be a dentist, why don't you just drop out of medical school. At this time last year, you weren't in medical school. Why didn't you just apply for dental school the following year. There's no point in entering a field that you don't want to be a part of.
Additionally, is it fair for you to rob another pre-med at a spot in medical school? Do you know how many pre-meds would love to be a MS I? I have many friends that didn't make it to medical school this year. I've read your other posts and it seems like you lack the understanding and passion for medicine. I can see changing your mind down the line in the future, but it seems like you had reservations from the beginning. I think your actions were rather selfish. Just my opinion.

- leo, MS IV (TUCOM)

Dental school is not a stepping stone to medical school. If you were able to (highly unlikely) and did (1) you are likely not get advanced standing, so you will repeat Year I;
(2) you will add to your outstanding debt;
(3) as already said, (a) you will have done someone else who really wanted that place out of it;(b) it is unethical and not a nice thing to do.

You could drop out of dental school and reapply for the first year class in a dental school.
(a) you will be asked to account for the gap between college graduation and medical school application; (b) you can of course lie, but you will alway be worried that they may find that out;(c) they may find that out and then you are dead meat; d) that nagging worry will negatively affect your medical school grades to the the extent that (e) you may find yourself expelled.

Typo in above post: dental school when medical school was intended in
last paragraph

The above request asked about switching to Dental school from Medical school, not the other way around.

The above response doesn't make much sense anyway. If you want to switch schools, you simply apply to the other school using the standard method of application. Plenty of people have switched between both professions... MD to DDS, and vice versa.

Medical students often complain that dental students want to be in med school... this is an arrogant assumption. I wouldn't trade professions for anything.

------------------
Chris Sortman
University of Michigan
School of Dentistry