Dental schools that earn the most vs the least off of their clinical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJayJoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the 2020-2021 ADA Financial Survey from Dental Schools (data was de-identified but EASILY re-identifiable using the laws of substitution :') The revenue is only from the pre-doctoral student clinics and does not include graduate clinics/faculty practice.

Largest yearly clinical revenue per pre-doc student (students at these schools- are you overworked or does your school charge high fees?)

1. Southern Illinois: $16,345
2. Minnesota: $15,849
3. East Carolina: $15,790
4. UNC: $15,516
5. Utah: $13,152

Smallest yearly clinical revenue per pre-doc student (students at these schools- are you bored or do you feel this is inaccurate?)

1. Buffalo $4,387
2. Ohio State $4,187
3. Harvard $3,907
4. Boston University $3,533
5. Howard $2,654

There are some LCOL in the largest clinical revenue group and some HCOL in the smallest revenue group so it doesn't seem to be based on local economic factors.

Please share your thoughts on if these numbers are an accurate representation of the clinical experience/clinical requirements/patient hours worked at these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Dental schools make so much money lol

Might have something to do with coding. my school never taught us proper dental billing codes, and I'm sure free work was given away.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So something I've wondered, but was too afraid to ask in a non-anonymous fashion, was why students in clinic aren't paid, yet pay the same if not higher tuition than the last year. Is it the fact they don't have a license or dental degree yet? Are getting faculty supervision? Something else?

Reactions: 3 users
So something I've wondered, but was too afraid to ask in a non-anonymous fashion, was why students in clinic aren't paid, yet pay the same if not higher tuition than the last year. Is it the fact they don't have a license or dental degree yet? Are getting faculty supervision? Something else?
I understand not getting paid for the reasons you mentioned, but I would at least have liked a free lunch or something 🥲

Reactions: 2 users
Several of my peers including myself have had $5000 weeks in our clinic, Midwestern Illinois, fees are low and production is high. Weeks like these typically include a few implant crowns ($960), removable ($320/arch), crowns ~$450.

It would be cool for at least D4 year to be incentive based. It could be even a small amount, say 3% of a procedure paid to the student or towards their tuition.

I believe Midwestern Univ-Arizona pays their clinic attendings bonuses on student production. The academic side are usually jealous since they get no clinic bonuses.

Tell me about it....My husband is a medical resident and get gets paid at least minimum wage and I'm always questioning why we don't get paid at least some portion of what we charge our patients

I can say ECU is fantastic. Students there are way way productive and they are a huge provider of medicaid. Only NC residents are allowed though to attend the dental school.