Dental School Start Dates Amid Pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrneatteeth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything yet from their schools about start dates this Summer/Fall being pushed back? Read an article today that universities as a whole are even possibly thinking Jan 2021 as a possibility.

Major reason I ask is due to finding an apartment to rent for beginning of this year. If everything is online we could save money on rent and move in at a later date.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think we're going to see schools have online didactic courses and social distanced lab courses where half the class comes in for the first half of lab while the rest come in during the second half. If you're an incoming D1, definitely wait and see how this all shakes out before signing a lease

We will know more during summer. I got an email from one of the administrators telling us that the first semester being online could be a possibility.

We can’t really speculate as far as 2021 right now because there’s no telling what will happen if some governors relax distancing too early or whether everyone will cooperate fully until this is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, if you are a first year med/dent I see the entire first semester being online format. Summer school pre health programs From June to August are gonna be online format and these programs end about a week before first year orientation begins. So I doubt you will be on campus first semester and most likely into the second semester.

Has anyone heard anything yet from their schools about start dates this Summer/Fall being pushed back? Read an article today that universities as a whole are even possibly thinking Jan 2021 as a possibility.

Major reason I ask is due to finding an apartment to rent for beginning of this year. If everything is online we could save money on rent and move in at a later date.
at Indiana, we start regardless in person or online in July. This is pure speculation on my end, Indiana is going to be opening up their state and proceed to phase 2 by July which means school would be open and incoming D1s would be receiving classes in person.

At Creighton, we'll be starting August 11th. Of course things could still change, but I haven't heard anything about distance learning for first semester D1 classes. As for the lease, I was fortunate enough to be able to negotiate the terms of the lease to include a COVID clause (won't have to pay rent if I'm not able to move in due to social distancing and shelter in place orders).

Reactions: 1 user
At Creighton, we'll be starting August 11th. Of course things could still change, but I haven't heard anything about distance learning for first semester D1 classes. As for the lease, I was fortunate enough to be able to negotiate the terms of the lease to include a COVID clause (won't have to pay rent if I'm not able to move in due to social distancing and shelter in place orders).
I started calling apartment complexes today and I totally forgot to bring up the possibility go a COVID clause. thank you!

Reactions: 1 user