Dental School Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broadstreet1

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm accepted to dental school for the upcoming fall, and as new D1s do, I've been [rather obsessively] reading a lot of Very Serious Posts on sdn about tuition and scholarships etc. BUT... I have a concern that is truly of the UTMOST importance:

Can I wear my tie-dye Crocs to class?

Mind you, I am generally a rule-abiding individual. However, I neglected to ask about the dress code during my interview and have found very little information online about it... And in the event that the school does not clarify the dress code policy before August (and no kind SDN user gently shatters my dreams of wearing kaleidoscopic clogs to class) I will assume I am allowed to wear my fabulous footwear freely.

Any and all dress code information would be appreciated, I'd be interested to see how it varies by school tbh.

(I'm attending UIC.)

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 7.14.22 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If Miloro sees you in these, he'll never let you live it down.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a group FB page? Message one of the students on there and ask. I have been asking my school's current students ton of these questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stand out in dental school among the faculty. You never want to be a target. Always best to be DentalStudent_00XXX unless you're aiming to specialize. Most of the faculty didn't know who I was because most of the time I just showed up for the exams or worked with only specific instructors. Can't get in trouble if they don't know who you are. Given that infection control is all the rage right now, you need closed toe shoes. You will draw attention to yourself from clinical faculty with any kind of opening, especially with that design.

But... to answer, you probably can wear them sometimes. Is it professional? Probably not unless you're in the peds department. Check professional code of conducts as well. It may have something on professional attire.

Reactions: 5 users
If Miloro sees you in these, he'll never let you live it down.

Interesting. Not sure if this means he has a sense of humor or he's very attached to decorum, but either way I think I should introduce myself to this person.

Don't stand out in dental school among the faculty. You never want to be a target. Always best to be DentalStudent_00XXX unless you're aiming to specialize. Most of the faculty didn't know who I was because most of the time I just showed up for the exams or worked with only specific instructors. Can't get in trouble if they don't know who you are. Given that infection control is all the rage right now, you need closed toe shoes. You will draw attention to yourself from clinical faculty with any kind of opening, especially with that design.

But... to answer, you probably can wear them sometimes. Is it professional? Probably not unless you're in the peds department. Check professional code of conducts as well. It may have something on professional attire.

Idk how I feel about being Anonymous Dental Student X because I feel like I would get more out of my education if I got to know my faculty members instead of just being along for the ride. Solid advice though, you're definitely right about the infection control. In reality I'll probably just get tennis shoes since that seems to be what most people wear in the photos I've seen. Just don't want to lose my sense of humor since I know dental school is 4 years of being absolutely ride or die for academics lol.

It amazes me that students (customers) spend a fortune purchasing an education and have to ask the school (business) permission if they can wear a certain style of shoe. Education is a**backwards. For the price yo're paying, as long as they're within infection control guidelines, you should be able to wear them and faculty should be forced to complement you on them lol.

I think it heavily depends on the culture of your school. As Tanman alluded to you can technically be within the rules/regs and sill get trouble from certain faculty/instructors. Assume that some of the faculty, who will have power over your future career, are not good people. It may sound cynical but I promise you that dental school is NOT like university education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
wear what you want. express yourself as long as you're not breaking any laws or rules or causing distractions which puts patient's lives at risk.

I know nothing of UIC’s policies, but if it’s anything like my school, you will get information on what is expected of you that first week, if not before. For my school, for didactics you either had to wear the class color scrubs with closed toed shoes or business professional. Most of us just kept it simple with scrubs every day. Unfortunately those rainbow crocs would not be well received here. They definitely would not be allowed in pre-clinical lab, which you will have on most days, as they would be a hazard. Remember that in dental school, you are a professional student and should strive to appear as one. Those are perfect for after hours study time though!

I like the vibe of your personality and humour. But as @TanMan stated .... those crocs will not fly in regards to infection control. Maybe during nonclinical times, but not in the clinic. I believe the guidlines require a closed toe with material that is not absorbent. But keep your sense of humour. :thumbup:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i wear crocs into clinics without any problem. i have one with smaller holes on top and veryyyy few people ever noticed and when they do, they mostly laugh. one of the prof in clinics also wears them all the time. you do you. also, professional school or not, we wear scrubs all day anyway or people just dress like they want in classes (including tshirt, jeans, jogging, tank top.... nobody cared and nobody should care.)