Dental/Medical mission trips??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMarie4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to do a dental mission trip for a week and I'd really appreciate any websites to look at that go abroad. Also I wanted to talk about that in my personal statement as well if I go but I've heard some dental schools might frown upon that? But I don't plan on doing anything that I'm not certified to do either. But any websites for mission trips would help greatly!!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Contact Pat Savage at [email protected]. She is with Liga international. She can set you up for a trip.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I was able to participate in these during undergrad. They were pricey though...

What's the cost for these trips?
There is a registration fee of $25, about $30 for visa fees, and $200 for the trip. This was a while ago, and the price also depends on where you are traveling from. The pilot was also a volunteer, which made it less expensive. They usually go for 3 day trips. I might be forgeting something but this is all I can remember.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a registration fee of $25, about $30 for visa fees, and $200 for the trip. This was a while ago, and the price also depends on where you are traveling from. The pilot was also a volunteer, which made it less expensive. They usually go for 3 day trips. I might be forgeting something but this is all I can remember.

That's much better than the one I was offered. It was $1,500. I didn't go. Too much.

Yeah I've seen them from 1500-5000; I guess it depends on the agency. If your only purpose is to go and help out (for your own cause), then definitely look into it as it is a great experience but idk if it'll boost your chance at an acceptance, if that is your goal. A few of the admission officers I spoke too, told me that those trips are not really necessary (from an acceptance point of view). Additionally, some told me that helping your local community might have a greater impact as it shows a great dedication.

Volunteering is Volunteering. Doesn't matter if you do it in your front yard, or somewhere a continent away. As cheesy as it sounds, what matters though is that your heart is in the right place while you're doing it and you aren't just wanting to add another line to your resume. Volunteering locally will give you an opportunity to consistently give back on a more daily basis, will be much cheaper, and the experience can be equally satisfying, if not more than volunteering globally.

Source: I've led group efforts both locally and abroad for volunteering at dental clinics

Volunteering is Volunteering. Doesn't matter if you do it in your front yard, or somewhere a continent away. As cheesy as it sounds, what matters though is that your heart is in the right place while you're doing it and you aren't just wanting to add another line to your resume. Volunteering locally will give you an opportunity to consistently give back on a more daily basis, will be much cheaper, and the experience can be equally satisfying, if not more than volunteering globally.

Source: I've led group efforts both locally and abroad for volunteering at dental clinics
Totally agree.

Hi I'm looking to do a dental mission trip for a week and I'd really appreciate any websites to look at that go abroad. Also I wanted to talk about that in my personal statement as well if I go but I've heard some dental schools might frown upon that? But I don't plan on doing anything that I'm not certified to do either. But any websites for mission trips would help greatly!!! Thanks

From the conversations I've had, they're not worth the money and can do just as much harm as good to your application. I would stick with volunteering in your local community.

From the conversations I've had, they're not worth the money and can do just as much harm as good to your application. I would stick with volunteering in your local community.
Not sure why they would cause harm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why they would cause harm.

When the naive predent thinks its okay to extract a "almost coming out" tooth from the urging of the international dentist who says its okay. Then naive pre-dent brags about how he extracted a tooth on his AADSAS application. Little does he know, he just blacklisted himself from every dental school in the US.

Reactions: 5 users
When the naive predent thinks its okay to extract a "almost coming out" tooth from the urging of the international dentist who says its okay. Then naive pre-dent brags about how he extracted a tooth on his AADSAS application. Little does he know, he just blacklisted himself from every dental school in the US.
Naive pre-dent is a ******* in this case, but this shouldnt automatically make you assume that this is the norm/

Naive pre-dent is a ******* in this case, but this shouldnt automatically make you assume that this is the norm/

If its not a an issue why would an admissions officer bring this up during one of her interview advice panels?

Read 2 threads on SDN alone that they did some very unethical stuff in other countries. They didn't even know it was not allowed until they came to SDN to ask if it would help them on their applications.

If its not a an issue why would an admissions officer bring this up during one of her interview advice panels?

Read 2 threads on SDN alone that they did some very unethical stuff in other countries. They didn't even know it was not allowed until they came to SDN to ask if it would help them on their applications.
This individual case is obviously an issue and that is completely on the individual and the organization that he/she went through for acting unethically. Again, that doesn't mean it is the norm. What school was this btw? Not sure why an admissions officer is stereotyping a category of people because of one individual.

This individual case is obviously an issue and that is completely on the individual and the organization that he/she went through for acting unethically. Again, that doesn't mean it is the norm. What school was this btw? Not sure why an admissions officer is stereotyping a category of people because of one individual.

NYU, Dr Mejia. I'm not saying all outreach programs are like this. But paying $1,500 to $5000 to go abroad and do something really isn't going to make your application stand out more versus someone who spent that time volunteering at a local center from IHS. Its essentially the same thing.

However you run the risk of international dentists who do not know US policies. It is not malicious, it is just that international dentistry is completely different. Did you know some countries only require a bachelors? If you really want to experience working abroad, you can do it DURING dental school where supervision is done by your actual school.

You asked if there might be harm, i'm giving you an example of how harm can be done. Lets say an international dentist is working in a country where pre-dental students in that country are allowed to experience extracting a very loose tooth. Now you come along form the US and he reassures you that it is fine in their country. Now you just did something that is unethical in the eyes of US dental schools. I think it is very naive of you to think this is "rare". It actually occurs very often, where some pre-dental students will participate in unethical dentistry in countries with less regulations. It is enough of an issue that an admissions officer had to speak up about it. Now are all outreach programs poorly regulated? No. I would say the majority probably are not. But there is a risk someone does go on a shady one and ends up jeopardizing their future in dentistry.

Last edited:
You pretty much never want to tell a dental adcom that you went on a trip with Medlife.

upload_2017-2-4_10-5-50.png

Not worth.

Stay away from these trips. They are not looked upon favorably. Why? Because you are going abroad to provide care you cannot legally provide in the U.S.
Then you leave.
So what about complications? Follow-up? Some are left in worse shape than before the mission/outreach arrived.
There are tons of volunteer opportunities out there. Stay away from these.

Stay away from these trips. They are not looked upon favorably. Why? Because you are going abroad to provide care you cannot legally provide in the U.S.
Then you leave.
So what about complications? Follow-up? Some are left in worse shape than before the mission/outreach arrived.
There are tons of volunteer opportunities out there. Stay away from these.
What about gap medics? I don't want to preform any procedures but I just want to help countries that aren't as well off as the US and at least learn a few things by observation

What about gap medics? I don't want to preform any procedures but I just want to help countries that aren't as well off as the US and at least learn a few things by observation
There are plenty of people in our own country that need help. Worry about them first.
My recommendation is to volunteer in different capacities. Once in dental school, you may have the opportunity to go abroad on outreaches. From there you will be able to actually deliver care yourself under the supervision of faculty.
Don't waste your time and money on this. Volunteer at a local hospital in the dental department, a community dental center, or anything at all. It doesn't even need to be dental related as long as you shadow. Save your money for dental school interviews (you'll need it).
Ultimately what you do is your choice, whether you go or not makes no difference to me and I gain nothing from giving you bad advice. These mission trips can be a touchy subject, so it may be best to avoid them altogether.

Preach!

There are soooo many opportunities here to volunteer! You just need to look. Look for a free dental clinic that you can help out every week! Or pop up trips in your state. Usually they will have a deal with a hotel for a cheap room and will be a 2-3 day event.