Dental licence for a M.D.S student in U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alginate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to know what is the procedure for a M.D.S student from India to get a dental licence to practice in U.S? Does he have to take NBDE Part 1& 2 & do the 2 years of schooling like a B.D.S student or only the board exams will do? this question is for a friend fo mine. Does he have to study in a accredited school for 2-3 years again?please respond if any one knows the exact procedure.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry buddy.....unfortunately, the whole thing remains the same, IF she/he wants to practice routine/general dentistry;
YES! however, if yur friend is hell bent to practice only his speciality here, then you need to check out which state he wants to practice in.... for example lets say Texas, and your friend is an Orthodontist.....now texas says, that a foreign dentist can get licensed to practice in Texas for a particular specialty without actually having a DDS/DMD; however, the specialty program (which is quite hard to get into, without a DDS/DMD!!) needs to be REPEATED / DONE here in the US, and the length of that program should be for a minimum of 2 years......
this is similar to a few other states like Texas.....which are all mostly in the midwest:mad: like Utah, Wyoming etc etc (please check this out personally..)
so yur friend's decision is based on 2 factors:
1. state intended for practice
2. persevernce and seriousness to practice the same speciality thrughout.....
good luck!
K'jal

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx henna & kajalkiran for clarifying my doubts . Thanx a lot.

Alginate,
please check your PM.