This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NolesFan1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I'm currently going through a difficult time deciding what I want to be when I grow up.

I am a fourth year Biology student at FSU and will be graduating during the Fall 2018 semester. I am seriously unsure of what route to take with my future degree at this point. For the longest time I considered myself a Pre-Dental student, then switched to being Pre-PA because the thought of 4 more years of college and even more student debt terrified me. The main problem is, however, I never accumulated any clinical hours during the last three years, so my chances of getting into a PA program would be slim, even if I were to accumulate the minimum amount of hours required this year. So, after a lot of thought, I am going to apply to the local community college's Dental Hygienist program and hopefully get my A.S. for that within two years.

After working a couple of years as a dental hygienist, depending how much I like working in the dental field, I may apply to either a Physician's Assistant program (will have accumulated enough clinical hours by then) or a DDS/DMD program. My main question is, would working as a dental hygienist for a couple of years increase my chances of getting into a DDS/DMD program?

I would like to think I'd already be a competitive candidate for a dental program. I have a 3.91 overall GPA and believe I will graduate with at least that or a 3.8. I would like to think I could score well on the DAT with lots of hard work, and as a hygienist, will more than get my shadowing hours in. I'm just worried about the four to five year gap that will be between me graduating from FSU and applying to a dental program. That, and almost every Fall semester (due to Marching Chiefs), I took around 12 credit hours of classes and wasn't full time either semester for the prior school year (due to mental health). I intend on taking a more competitive course load this school year, though. Would they really look at that a couple years down the line?

Also, are there any bridge type programs that take dental hygienists and make it easier for them to get their DDS/DMD?

I'd really appreciate any kind of input or advice; anything, really! My graduation date is just getting closer and I need to decide on which classes would be most beneficial to take.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow RDH here. I did my undergrad at UCONN graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree, then pursued CDA and RDH. Applied last year for Class of 2021 to start FALL of this year and am still waiting to get off waitlist :shrug:. Wished there was a program that would facilitate getting into Dental School as an RDH but haven't found any. So Im thinking only way is like everyone else: Need at least a bachelors degree, complete the pre-reqs for dental school, take DAT, get letters of recommendation, shadow a dentist, get a decent GPA (Science GPA is important), complete app on AADSAS portal and apply broadly. I do think RDH's have a foot ahead in terms of clinical dental experience, familiarity with dental materials, tooth numbering systems, oral + dental anatomy, dental platforms (Dentrix, Denticon, Axium, Eaglesoft), social skills, etc. which will all aid in being successful in dental school, but expect a great deal of new material to be learned in dental school. Anything you would like me to share from my process of applying as an RDH feel free to contact me :) Good luck to all fellow RDH's looking to pursue dental school. :thumbup::hello:

Reactions: 1 user
If you're thinking of applying to a DMD / DDS program down the line anyway, I am confused as to why you wouldn't just do that now? Spending money to become a hygienist seems like a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. Especially since you have a high GPA.

As far as PA, have you done any shadowing to determine if that's even something you would like to do? Or is it just a loose idea?

Go noles ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for the quick responses! :)

There are a couple of different factors as to why I'd want to become a dental hygienist before applying to a PA or DDS/DMD program. One of the bigger reasons has to do with my current relationship (yeah, stupid idea to plan your life around another person, but I'm pretty certain with him ;)). He sadly has two to three more years as an undergrad at FSU, and I'd prefer not to go straight into a dental program and leave him for that long. It'd work out if I got accepted into UF right away, but I don't want to rely on that. That, and as a dental hygienist, I believe I would be able to save up a lot of money over a couple of years to help pay off some of my student debt and not be completely broke when attending a dental or PA program.

I do intend on asking my dentist if I can shadow her a bit before I head back down to Tallahassee (she's the person that inspired me to consider the dental field) to make sure its something I'd like to pursue. I have not exactly shadowed any physician's assistants either, but I have talked to a couple of the physician's assistants working at FSU's wellness center, along with a PA at my gynecologist's office, and they seem to really love their careers, which makes me consider that as well. That, and PA's are pretty high in demand at the time.

I just feel like becoming a hygienist first would be the best move for me at this time and it could either solidify my mindset on dental school, or, if I decide I want to go to PA school, I'll have clinical hours in.

Do dental clinical hours count for PA school though? Usually clinical hours for PA school have a doctor or nurse supervision .....

I've done some research into it...some schools do accept it and others don't. FSU, UF, and UNC (edit* UNC doesn't say they accept it but doesn't say they don't) all accept dental hygiene hours for their programs. I'm sure there are many more, but I haven't really looked.

If he goes to FSU, apply to the three dental schools in Florida. You'll have a good shot at two of them I believe (NOVA and LECOM). I would recommend going straight into dentistry because although you would be making money for dental school as a hygienist, you're probably going to have to borrow a lot of money regardless. The sooner you become a dentist, the sooner you'll be able to pay back the loans.

Also, my girlfriend and i have been dating for 4 years (long distance in undergrad for 3), so if you guys are serious about each other, you'll make it work no mater what you do/where you go.

Reactions: 1 users
The DA to DDS isn't unheard of. Given you graduated FSU with a 3.8/9 you probably have good time management skills between class and the strip. I think you'll be able to succeed regardless of the path you take. DA over DDS may take a few years off your high income earnings as a DDS, but it could help prepare you for school and as you said make money. Do not bank on getting into UF with your stats however, they're acceptance criteria is a crapshoot. Also, shoot me a PM if you are near south florida and decide to take your DAT

What doesnt make sense is that you said you are thinking about PA program bc you werent sure about doing 4 more years after college for dds degree. But you also said you would try out DH route and then possibly going into dentistry if you like it.

It just sounds like you arent sure what you want and lack confidence, not fearing 4 more years of school.

Like others suggested, shadow a dentist, and a DH. See which you like more. If you like dentistry more, theres no need to waste 2-3 years going through DH route.

Was accepted to both UF and FSU and attended UF as my undergrad.

Short answer to your inquiry: No.

Hygienist here who will be starting dental school in a month. I think you need to think about a couple of different things (future wise) here before you fully commit to something. Your GPA is competitive for dental school, dental hygiene school, and PA school. First, I feel like you need to do some shadowing of all of these professions to get insight into to which of the professions would be best for you. Dental hygiene is a great profession with good pay, however, school (not dental school, obviously) is no cake walk and you will accumulate more debt that you will be paying off (it's not cheap). So, now you are paying off a BS and a BA. Realistically, if you work for 3 years but have living expenses and student debt, the amount of money you save will not be that significant and will be burned through pretty quickly applying for programs and living in dental school/PA school (even if you are dual income). Second, while dental hygiene is a wonderful career, its not for the faint of heart and if you are not all in and do not enjoy what you do, the burn out will be extremely high for you and in my opinion... your happiness should be worth more than using the profession as a stepping stone for either PA or Dental school. Again, shadowing should help give you more clarity in choosing a profession and will most likely save you some time. However, you will not be gaining shadowing hours as a hygienist, unless you have a patient cancellation, come in on an off day, or do a mission trip where you assist/observe, it's hard to get those hours because you are too busy working. Another thing to think about is time. Yes, it doesn't matter when you go now or 5 years from now, they'll still call you DDS/DMD. I am a nontraditional student and I did/do love my career as a hygienist but I wish I would have done dental school right out of the gate. It's hard going back to school. You mentioned not wanting to be away from your boyfriend for that long while he finishes undergrad. It's better to do that now rather than later if this is really your dream and if he's the one, he'll support that. Let me give you some perspective. Before I went to hygiene school, I did think about dental school but my boyfriend turned fiancé at the time didn't want me leaving him, so I didn't. I went to hygiene school, that relationship ended (not saying that'll happen to you) and I was devastated and kicked myself for not living life according to my dreams. Fast forward to now, I've been married for almost 6 years to a wonderful guy who encouraged me to apply to dental school although it meant our marriage would become a commuter relationship (he's Air Force and cannot move with me). For the next 4 years, we will be long distance (1,000+ miles away) married. It's a choice we made together and I'm glad that we found a way to make it work but man, I'm dreading it. In my opinion, it'd be better to do it while your dating and maybe engaged because it will not get any easier as time goes on.

That's just my few cents. I personally think you'd benefit greatly from a gap year, study hard for your DAT, and take a dental assisting course to make a money, gain hours, and get some shadowing in. It'd be a cheaper alternative than getting another degree and you'll still get the experience you want for an application. You could then apply after a year to the Florida dental schools (maybe surrounding states) and just bite the bullet and do it. If you decided PA is for you, take a 2 year GAP year and you could still achieve the hours you need but start sooner. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi op, congrats on wrapping up your undergrad with a good GPA! Here's what I would do if I was you.... wrap up your undergrad and begin studying for the DAT and accumulating shadowing experience. Your GPA is great so if you can rock the DAT you can probably get into a school that is relatively close to your boyfriend. If you get accepted your first cycle, that will be 2 years of undergrad your bf can complete before you even have to move! If he does another year, just tough it out and do long distance for a year (it'll be fine!). There is no point in becoming a hygienist if you ultimately want to become a dentist. Save yourself time and debt!

Kind of like a mother hen trying to seat on too many eggs at one time.