This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepingUpWithK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I'm currently a junior now in college but since I've changed my major to biology (to become a dentist) my sophomore year I still have more courses to take. Now my school is offering a dental hygiene program and I feel like if I join I'll have a better chance at:
• graduating early enough which would lead to gaining experience and saving money for dental school
However I would feel pretty awful considering that I spent time in college trying to earn a Bachelor's degree and end up earning an Associate's :/.

BUT considering that I'm not financially stabled and come from a not so wealthy background I feel like it could really help out

Any advice??? *please no rude comments*

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I'm currently a junior now in college but since I've changed my major to biology (to become a dentist) my sophomore year I still have more courses to take. Now my school is offering a dental hygiene program and I feel like if I join I'll have a better chance at:
• graduating early enough which would lead to gaining experience and saving money for dental school
However I would feel pretty awful considering that I spent time in college trying to earn a Bachelor's degree and end up earning an Associate's :/.

BUT considering that I'm not financially stabled and come from a not so wealthy background I feel like it could really help out

Any advice??? *please no rude comments*
If I were in your shoes I would just stick with biology and apply to dental school straight out of undergrad assuming your stats are good.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you can get into dental school with an associate. It is really rare for students to get in without a bachelor's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hygienist here, unless they're offering a BSDH, stick with your Bio degree. It'll save you time. If your intention is just to apply to dental school soon after graduating and not really gain a good amount of hygiene experience first, I'd say it's a waste of time. Hygiene school is not dental school but it can be costly (instruments, boards, etc.) and is no cake walk. Maybe attend an assisting course and gain a job in the field that you can do while you are still in school to add experience to your app. That's my two cents though.

Reactions: 1 users
Complete the Bachelor's, I really don't see there being any significant advantages to becoming a hygienist and working for a year, plus you'd run into the issue of not having a Bachelor's at the time of application which makes the odds of admission a lot lower.

Dental Hygiene

2years plus you could complete a DH bachelors online or at your school

I don't think you can get into dental school with an associate. It is really rare for students to get in without a bachelor's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOT
So gaining experience as a dental hygienist would help? That's crazy

Hygienist here, unless they're offering a BSDH, stick with your Bio degree. It'll save you time. If your intention is just to apply to dental school soon after graduating and not really gain a good amount of hygiene experience first, I'd say it's a waste of time. Hygiene school is not dental school but it can be costly (instruments, boards, etc.) and is no cake walk. Maybe attend an assisting course and gain a job in the field that you can do while you are still in school to add experience to your app. That's my two cents though.
Thanks I'll look into that :)