Dental application rescinded advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocizzle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was recently admitted to a dental school and I indicated on my application that I would be completing some shadowing hours in the summer of 2019 (I submitted in 2018) After acceptance I began studying for the CBSE exam for oral surgery as I had a large gap of time that I wanted to take advantage of before matriculation, out of courtesy and honest I emailed the school if I could forgo the hours I would have completed in the future in order to focus on studying (I felt like I owed these hours after submitting them on my application hence me even asking in the first place) and said if they still wanted me to do it I would have.

Long story short they said they must rescind my application because I falsified information, and am not allowed to indicate hours that I will do in the future, I told them this is strange considering the fact that the dental application allows you to do this, for example it will say "completion date when" and you can list a month in 2019, the fact the application allowed me to do this and having numerous friends in medical and dental school who have done this led me to believe this was no issue, to which at least one person on admissions for the dental school says there is an issue. What is my best course of option?

Members don't see this ad.

, out of courtesy and honest I emailed the school if I could forgo the hours I would have completed in the future in order to focus on studying (I felt like I owed these hours after submitting them on my application hence me even asking in the first place) and said if they still wanted me to do it I would have.
I feel like if you emailed them this and they said it would be okay, then you could have a case against your offer being rescinded, but it seems like you just told them you wouldn't be completing the hours (but you would if they wanted you to) instead of asking? Also, you said summer of 2019, and that has yet to come. You can't do those hours this summer?

Admission offers are really tricky and it's always best to get a response in writing about whether or not something is okay - I was taking a fluff class my senior year to stay full-time, but I didn't want to waste my time or money on it and so I emailed UCLA before I dropped it, making sure that everything would be okay.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you can do, but perhaps these people might have advice: @Mr.Smile12, @TanMan, @2TH MVR, @setdoc7, @Cold Front @charlestweed

What school is this? The only “issue” (if you could even call it that) is that you are considering falling back on your word, but even then, you simply asked if you had to go through with the shadowing. You still have the time to finish the hours like you promised, so I don’t get how this is viable for a rescission. Do you not have any shadowing hours? I know some schools have a mandatory number hours for an application to be even considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
What school is this? The only “issue” (if you could even call it that) is that you are considering falling back on your word, but even then, you simply asked if you had to go through with the shadowing. You still have the time to finish the hours like you promised, so I don’t get how this is viable for a rescission. Do you not have any shadowing hours? I know some schools have a mandatory number hours for an application to be even considered.

I have done around 70 hours of the 100 that I mentioned for that one particular dentist, and the other sections are completed

Last edited:
I feel like if you emailed them this and they said it would be okay, then you could have a case against your offer being rescinded, but it seems like you just told them you wouldn't be completing the hours (but you would if they wanted you to) instead of asking? Also, you said summer of 2019, and that has yet to come. You can't do those hours this summer?

Admission offers are really tricky and it's always best to get a response in writing about whether or not something is okay - I was taking a fluff class my senior year to stay full-time, but I didn't want to waste my time or money on it and so I emailed UCLA before I dropped it, making sure that everything would be okay.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you can do, but perhaps these people might have advice: @Mr.Smile12, @TanMan, @2TH MVR, @setdoc7, @Cold Front @charlestweed

No i never said I wouldn't do it, I asked if it was still necessary for me to do it basically

On your application did you include future hours in your experiences section? Or in the description did you say you plan to do X hours in the summer of 2019?

If the former, ADEA has this in their FAQs so this is probably where the school is coming from:
In the experience sections, you may only document (in hours/weeks, etc.) the time already completed. Once you submit your application, you may not update your hours. However, in the text box under “duties,” you may clarify your expected time commitment, and send any updates directly to the schools to which you are applying.

If the latter and you said you’re planning to do additional hours, then I’m not sure what options you have for recourse if they’ve already rescinded the offer. Did you receive any other offers you could try and explain your predicament to accept a spot elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 users
Maryland, and no I have done around 70 hours of the 100 that I mentioned for that one particular dentist, and the other sections are completed
Maybe that is the issue? They never say “require” directly, but on their website, they allude to a requirement of 100 shadowing hours before applying. By asking the question you did, you more or less admitted that you didn’t meet their initial requirements leading them to rescind your offer. Whether you reach 100 hours later this summer or not, they see it as falsifying information. I’d say it’s a done deal. Any other offers you can accept?

Maybe that is the issue? They never say “require” directly, but on their website, they allude to a requirement of 100 shadowing hours before applying. By asking the question you did, you more or less admitted that you didn’t meet their initial requirements leading them to rescind your offer. Whether you reach 100 hours later this summer or not, they see it as falsifying information. I’d say it’s a done deal. Any other offers you can accept?

Does it say 100 hours required, I didn't find a hard requirement listed on their website. Either way this is a crappy situation to be in but I don't think they should've rescinded, especially since you asked and you still can complete the hours. Right now is the time to remain calm, stay clear headed and take action. Go in person and try to talk to someone in admissions.

This might be helpful:
Readmissions to the School of Dentistry

Right, it says that they like to see at least 100 shadowing hours. What seems ridiculous to me is that (1) if this is such a big deal, AADSAS shouldn’t even allow the option to add future experiences (not coursework), and (2) it seems like if you never contacted the school regarding your deliberation, they wouldn’t have noticed the fact that you put down future hours/time already not completed. It’s already pretty iffy about whether or not schools even verify volunteer and shadowing hours.

Reactions: 1 user

That is 70 hours with a general dentist, I have shadowed other general dentists and an oral surgeon as well that is more than 100 hours total

Meh this just seems unfair to be honest. What someone else said, if you never mentioned it you would be fine and they're penalizing you for being honest. Someone stole as a dental student and was able to transfer, but someone brought attention to something on their app and gets rescinded?

Does it say 100 hours required, I didn't find a hard requirement listed on their website. Either way this is a crappy situation to be in but I don't think they should've rescinded, especially since you asked and you still can complete the hours. Right now is the time to remain calm, stay clear headed and take action. Go in person and try to talk to someone in admissions.

This might be helpful:
Readmissions to the School of Dentistry
No it doesn’t say they require, but, like I said, they allude to it. I know a lot of schools do actually require things on the back end whether or not they actually state it up front. I was told at one of my interviews (directly from one of the admissions officers) that that school requires a certain amount of community service hours, but they don’t tell anyone that up front. They considered it just one of the criteria they use to weed applicants out. Anytime a school says they “like to see” something, applicants should treat it as a requirement just to be safe.

That is 70 hours with a general dentist, I have shadowed other general dentists and an oral surgeon as well that is more than 100 hours total
It doesn’t sound like they know/realize that. Did you separate your GP shadowing hours out in your email like you just now did? Because it could just be a misunderstanding. Usually shadowing is shadowing whether it is with a GP or anything else (they even state that they like to see shadowing from everywhere in the page I looked at). If they know that you have over 100 hours of total shadowing and this really is just a matter of them classifying you including future hours as you lying, then that seems really petty and hugely unfortunate for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh this just seems unfair to be honest. What someone else said, if you never mentioned it you would be fine and they're penalizing you for being honest. Someone stole as a dental student and was able to transfer, but someone brought attention to something on their app and gets rescinded?
Unfair, probably. But some schools taking following directions very seriously. I know I got rejected from a few because I forgot to do some tiny little thing that was listed on their website (not in any directions on AADSAS or in their supplemental app). Maybe this is their way of cracking down on it. If AADSAS says not to include future hours, then apparently they take that as “falsifying” info on your app. I would reach out again and just make sure it isn’t a misunderstanding.

It doesn’t sound like they know/realize that. Did you separate your GP shadowing hours out in your email like you just now did? Because it could just be a misunderstanding. Usually shadowing is shadowing whether it is with a GP or anything else (they even state that they like to see shadowing from everywhere in the page I looked at). If they know that you have over 100 hours of total shadowing and this really is just a matter of them classifying you including future hours as you lying, then that seems really petty and hugely unfortunate for you.
I hope there was miscommunication and you could fix it by talking to admissions dean. It seems really unfair for you.

What we're those things?
Unfair, probably. But some schools taking following directions very seriously. I know I got rejected from a few because I forgot to do some tiny little thing that was listed on their website (not in any directions on AADSAS or in their supplemental app). Maybe this is their way of cracking down on it. If AADSAS says not to include future hours, then apparently they take that as “falsifying” info on your app. I would reach out again and just make sure it isn’t a misunderstanding.

I am sorry about what happened. I would drive or take a flight to the school and talk to them directly.
Honestly, this is not done here, not solved here.
This requires you to be more active than passive about what has been done.

Miscommunications over the email can happen. Go straight there.

If English is your second language, just explain that you didn't express yourself well.

I hope you get accepted at another school soon or get off the waitlist of another school. You don't need to be in such an agressive environment.

Last thing to say. Maryland weighs ethics too much. They even have a question about it on their secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am sorry about what happened. I would drive or take a flight to the school and talk to them directly.
Honestly, this is not done here, not solved here.
This requires you to be more active than passive about what has been done.

Miscommunications over the email can happen. Go straight there.

If English is your second language, just explain that you didn't express yourself well.

I hope you get accepted at another school soon or get off the waitlist of another school. You don't need to be in such an agressive environment.

Last thing to say. Maryland weighs ethics too much. They even have a question about it on their secondary.
so you're saying ethics is not important in dentistry?

Reactions: 2 users
To be completely honest. As far fetched as this sounds and probably is.. it's almost like Maryland screwed up and extended too many offers that people accepted. Getting rid of anyone for a minor issue is one less problem for them. Like I said, 99.9999% sure that's not the case. But it's nuts that Maryland did this if everything OP said is true

Rescinding your acceptance based on that is ridiculous.

I am concerned about you studying for the CBSE without any exposure whatsoever to the material. Sounds like a waste of time.

Reactions: 14 users
What we're those things?
Apparently I was supposed to do something within two weeks of submitting my primary AADSAS application (this was before everything was condensed and available within AADSAS itself). Can’t remember if that was submitting additional information or a picture or a declaration of residency of some kind. I know it wasn’t a secondary and not part of the initial application either. I just remember being notified that I didn’t do it, combing the website for the 100th time to finally find it and thinking “really? That’s extremely nit-picky.” Definitely and oversight by me and my fault, but it was what it was.

am not allowed to indicate hours that I will do in the future, I told them this is strange considering the fact that the dental application allows you to do this, for example it will say "completion date when" and you can list a month in 2019, the fact the application allowed me to do this and having numerous friends in medical and dental school who have done this led me to believe this was no issue,

zToothinator is right. You can only report hours that you have already completed. Yes, you can specify a future end date; however you cannot input the total hours you would have completed at the end date. You should only have put 70 hours. Now in admission's eyes you inflated your numbers from 70 to 100. It's probably not that you didn't meet the minimum requirements. It's mostly the idea that during review of your application and comparing your application to another... That "30" extra hours you added might have "helped you" get an interview over others who might have only inputted 70.

Reactions: 5 users
In the grand scheme of things, standing around a GP’s office and getting in the staff’s way for another 30 hours will not really benefit anyone (that’s pretty much what shadowing is). While i do agree that the school overreacted in rescinding your offer, I find the idea of “I promise/plan I will shadow for 30 more hours this summer before matriculation” to be just as ridiculous. It’s not a real accomplishment or accolade by any means, just another trivial benchmark that you must meet.

In any regard, i do wish you luck in resolving this issue with the best result possible. And forget the CBSE, you’ve got bigger issues to be concerned with.

Reactions: 7 users
Right, it says that they like to see at least 100 shadowing hours. What seems ridiculous to me is that (1) if this is such a big deal, AADSAS shouldn’t even allow the option to add future experiences (not coursework), and (2) it seems like if you never contacted the school regarding your deliberation, they wouldn’t have noticed the fact that you put down future hours/time already not completed. It’s already pretty iffy about whether or not schools even verify volunteer and shadowing hours.

I think having a future completion date on the application is more for jobs.
Some schools do randomly verify hours. My dentist got a couple calls.

to which at least one person on admissions for the dental school says there is an issue.

Did this admissions person tell you this in person or by email? If you have a copy of the email I would use that as a defense. If not I would reach out to that person and tell them about the situation and they can vouch for you, hopefully.

OP, did you get accepted anywhere else? I hate to say this but Maryland might have closed their door to you... If I were you I would start thinking about other options... Good luck!

Rescinding your acceptance based on that is ridiculous.

I am concerned about you studying for the CBSE without any exposure whatsoever to the material. Sounds like a waste of time.
This.

Without all of the facts, it is impossible to determine what the basis of the school's actions are. We have only one side of the story, and none of us here are in a position to do anything about this situation. To the OP, good luck with this. It sounds contrived and ridiculous to me. CBSE? Give me a break.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm sure if you got into Maryland and are studying for that already, you are smart enough to have gotten in elsewhere or get in again this cycle. Sucks, man! Good luck

I'm sure if you got into Maryland and are studying for that already, you are smart enough to have gotten in elsewhere or get in again this cycle. Sucks, man! Good luck
He was. dental

His original post had 2 schools listed as acceptances.

Any update, OP? I want to know how this turns out.

Thanks guys all for the advice! As for those thinking the story is far-fetched; look i'm not here to gain sympathy nor contrive anything; in fact i'd gain nothing from it, was sincerely seeking advice; but believe as you wish I really don't aim to prove anything.

As for me studying for the cbse, I had 5 months until matriculation, God willing I want to apply to oral surgery, why is that ridiculous? I'm lazy, and i'm not tryna study for that exam as a full time dental student, plus it's unlimited retakes so not like I was chancing anything

Last but not least, no updates but i'm keeping my chin up, if needed i'll reapply this cycle with my head held high, worse things could have happened and i'm thankful to be at the position I am in at least as a good applicant

As for me studying for the cbse, I had 5 months until matriculation, God willing I want to apply to oral surgery, why is that ridiculous? I'm lazy, and i'm not tryna study for that exam as a full time dental student, plus it's unlimited retakes so not like I was chancing anything

It’s good to be interested in oral surgery, but your way of thinking is flawed. You will learn 10 times less efficient doing it without any background information that it is not worth it at all. This is from someone who has taken the exam and did well on it.
And if you think you can tackle the exam without studying during your dental school years you are kidding yourself. This exam isn’t the DAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks guys all for the advice! As for those thinking the story is far-fetched; look i'm not here to gain sympathy nor contrive anything; in fact i'd gain nothing from it, was sincerely seeking advice; but believe as you wish I really don't aim to prove anything.

Last but not least, no updates but i'm keeping my chin up, if needed i'll reapply this cycle with my head held high, worse things could have happened and i'm thankful to be at the position I am in at least as a good applicant
what you were chancing was pissing off an admissions dept by not sticking to the plan in your application

I would call someone in person. Have a native english speaker with you because I think it's possible you don't communicate as clearly as you think you do

good luck

Kind of like using a lit match to check the level of gasoline in the tank.

I would take some good advice and speak directly to Maryland right now. The notion that you are a good applicant which you have put forth in your last post is not necessarily a fact, as you will undoubtedly have to explain the rescinded admission, which will be a blemish on your app. See if you can work this out now, as opposed to having to make an explanation next cycle.

Wonder if this dude made it in....

Status
Not open for further replies.