This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but (obviously) I wasn't accepted this cycle and I'm wondering about what to do over the next ~8 months.

I don't need to retake courses, but I haven't taken STATS or "biology-department genetics" (I took the animal science genetics) or advanced cell biology (which I've heard is the bane of every BCMB student's existence---the smartest people I've ever met made Bs in it; not that that would necessarily scare me away from it. I've been through organic, organic lab, and biochem, so really I have no excuse to be afraid of it lol.).

I do need quite a bit more large animal vet experience (I haven't heard back yet, but I'm almost certain that's why I didn't get in this round), and it wouldn't hurt to get more community service either.

SO, I'm wondering if I should focus on experience or try to go back to school and take some part-time classes so I can reapply to other schools. Since the cycle will have already opened by then, would it even really affect the applications much since I'd still be "in-progress" with completing the courses? OR should I go back full-time and pursue a master's degree in something beneficial/appealing like micro or public health/business?

Like if experience is all I'm missing, should I just invest all my time in that? An advantage to this is being able to potentially make more money instead of increasing my student loan debt even more by going to grad school/taking other classes.

OR, should I just ask all of these questions to the vet school directors when I meet with/call them to talk about my rejected application? :p I guess I'm just trying to get some first-hand experience from students/people who've been in this sort of position.

If experience really is what kept you out (which you should definitely confirm first), then just focus on that. Taking the Biology-department genetics or advanced cell bio isn't going to suddenly push you over the edge. And I certainly would not take on the responsibility of trying to get a master's if I didn't need to, and most if not all people don't.

Members don't see this ad.

If experience really is what kept you out (which you should definitely confirm first), then just focus on that. Taking the Biology-department genetics or advanced cell bio isn't going to suddenly push you over the edge. And I certainly would not take on the responsibility of trying to get a master's if I didn't need to, and most if not all people don't.
True. I did a Master's Degree, but I decided to do it even when I started undergrad. I wanted that experience in research and teaching (I love teaching). You should definitely confirm that it is experience that was your sore spot on the application.

I was only offered on interview (from my IS school); all OS schools didn't even offer me an interview. :/ So I'm *fairly* certain that my relatively low hours with large animal vet med is what the issue is, although I definitely plan on getting in touch with all of the schools I applied to and figuring out what the issue(s) was/were.

Maybe I could work part-time while also taking STATS in the fall? If anything, is that the most beneficial course I could pick up? Not very many schools (Auburn, I know, does) ask specifically for advanced cell bio, and it varies whether or not they ask for biology-specific genetics courses.
During your file reviews, I would confirm that it really was your hours that was the main issue. I remember seeing from your previous posts that your GPAs were pretty high, but your GRE was on the lower end... that may have played a role, too (depending on the particular school, of course, since they all weigh it differently).

I second the suggestion of posting in the What Are My Chances thread. It's hard to really pinpoint where your weaknesses are without having the whole package laid out in front of us.

You seem hesitant to do this, but... I would take both genetics and stats if you can. I don't know how animal science and biology genetics classes would differ, as my undergrad does not even have an animal science department, but it's really not that bad. Nowhere near the difficulty of vet school, I'm sure, and it would likely increase the number of schools you'd be able to apply to, anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I just found out that I was denied admission to OSU. I was also denied admission to CSU; which was partly expected considering I'm OOS. But, the rejection from OSU, my IS, really, really, really, bummed me out to say the least. I didn't even get so far as to have an interview...

I wanted to start a thread to chat with other "denied" applicants who are disappointed yet looking to reapply next application cycle. We can talk about what we are doing to improve our application this upcoming year, whether it be retaking courses (cough chemistry cough) or acquiring more experience, or, we could just encourage and motivate each other. Any advice from current vet students who had to reapply would be so, so greatly appreciated, as well.

I don't think being denied, by any means, reflects my own, or your, ability/potential to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. Each of us is smart, brave, and full of potential.

If you don't mind me asking. What were your stats?