Dell vs UTMB (2023)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palmtree12

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a TMDSAS applicant and I'm torn up because I cannot decide whether to rank Dell or UTMB #1 on Friday. I could use any help you guys have to offer.

Dell
Pros:
  • New school with a high ceiling (literally and figuratively), attractive facilities
  • My family lives 30 minutes from Austin, friends from high school, like Austin as a city
  • Small class may allow for each student to receive more individualized support by faculty
  • I do like the idea of having one year to pursue personal endeavors (can focus on school during preclinicals and MS2, no conflicting priorities especially if pursuing a competitive specialty)
  • I like the modern approach to learning and believe in what it can do for learning outcomes

Cons:
  • New school, not well established despite good reputation
  • Smaller class may mean less people like me, and mostly split up after MS1 anyway
  • Accelerated preclinical may be tough, shorter holidays, very nontraditional schedule
  • Cost of living in Austin (but family might move closer and I could live with them so this could be a nonfactor)
  • I'm a bit hesitant about such a nontraditional medical education, but willing to take the leap
UTMB
Pros
  • Established school, you know exactly what you're getting into, predictable education
  • Have friends at the med school now, and I do like the Greek life there, feel like I will be well supported by peers
  • Large class, I know I will find my niche and make good friends, never met more happy students
  • Will have relatively full summers and holidays
  • Large alumni network for connections

Cons
  • I definitely like Galveston more than most, but it is not Austin by any stretch of the imagination
  • Larger class may mean less individualized support from faculty, especially at an established institution
  • Juxtaposed to Dell, I find the same old style traditional education to be less exciting, though well established
  • May have to have conflicting priorities during med school years if I decide to pursue a competitive specialty
  • As an older school, it's not really on the up and up, and reputation is currently not at the same level as Dell

Summary: I think the choice I'm faced with is do I take the chance on the shiny new school with much higher potential but arguably more downside (Dell), or do I go with the safe choice where you know what you're getting (UTMB)? I have other TMDSAS interviews, but will 100% be ranking these #1 and #2, as I like the collaborative atmosphere of both schools, feel as if there on similar levels with regard to residency matching, and the locations. Anything helps, thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both of these schools & I would choose Dell for the pros you mentioned above. For me, Austin>>>Galveston. Also the free year at Dell to do research, get a second degree, etc is super enticing. And the fact that your family is really close to Austin would be another big plus for me.

I feel like you can't wrong with either school though. I really liked both schools. Just based on your pros/cons list and my overall experiences at both interview days, I would lean towards Dell as #1.

Reactions: 1 user
Where you would be happy
And where you have more rotation option and alumni network and mentors