deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flapjack3d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m a pgy3 thinking about a career in brain injury. I’ve never seen any physiatrist job listings with the IHS but I’m wondering if anyone knows a physiatrist working with them. If not, I wonder who is doing rehab work in that system, or if this is punted to outside the IHS. I guess I assume the IHS works similarly to the VA but that’s a blind assumption.
I don't know much about IHS, but I suspect it's a small enough service overall that they refer out for any rehab needs, particularly since most of their clinics are small and likely mostly PCPs/peds/OB.

The DOD, a far bigger employer, only employs a handful of inpatient physiatrists (at Walter Reed). I believe any outpatient physiatrists in the DOD are doing a combo of primary care/MSK/fitness for duty.

Looking at IHS rehab website I don't see any mention of acute rehab services or PM&R, though the link below does mention EMGs. But then there is no mention of physiatrists as being part of the rehab team:

Still, if this is your interest, I'd recommend reaching out to the IHS. You'd be surprised how often cold-calling can turn into a job opportunity, or at least provide helpful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.