[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earlsweatshirt

Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can get more hours helping former prisoners over the next 1.5 months, that would help your app the most.

I suggest:

Boston University
Case Western
Colorado
Central Michigan
USF
Miami
Duke
Dartmouth
Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Michigan State
Northwestern
NYU
Oakland
Penn
Jefferson
Stanford
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
University of Michigan
Pitt
Rochester
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
Wayne State
Western Michigan

Reactions: 1 user
You have a ton of teaching/tutoring as non-clinical volunteering. It will count as tutoring to fulfill academic/thinking competencies. Your work with incarcerated individuals is great for service orientation, but you need 150 hours minimum before applying to avoid getting screened out by most schools. Given your stats, the more service orientation activities you have before applying, the better your chances to stay in the game. Look for more activities in food distribution, shelter work, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation to get your service orientation hours higher.

Cutting your list down... be more reasonable. Your service orientation hours will rule you out because it doesn't keep pace with most applicants that apply there. Your identity as FGLI is apparent, but I don't get a sense of patient communities that uou feel most driven to serve 10 years from now.

Which programs work with formerly or currently incarcerated patients? That would be the first filter I would apply as there really aren't many. Second, how many have FGLI groups (FGLIMed) that you could talk with?

What are your PREview or Casper scores? You may have to take both as an in-state applicant.

Mission fit is going to dictate how successful you will be in the application cycle.

Last edited:
Would reframing this experience as mentorship help the volunteering aspect of my application?
No because you are not alleviating distress. You are coming in as an expert teaching students, regardless of their SES. Unless you are fully immersed in their issues as an employed teacher, this activity is very common among prehealth students and is expected as promoting STEM and higher education... which is noble but not fulfilling the service orientation competency definition.

FGLImed: reach out to them. I think you should know what to do: email, social media, etc.