This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haresparebear

Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm volunteering at a harm reduction clinic. I'm working on my W&A section and was wondering if it counts as clinical. I do the following

1. Directly do one-on-one exchanges, directing people to drop off their used needles in a bin and giving them fresh needles back.
2. We distribute other harm reduction supplies, like sterile water, cotton, etc , so I often pass those out and talk to people about the dangerous of sepsis, cotton fever, etc.
3. Distribute and train others on how to use fentanyl testing strips and Narcan.
4. During our intake form, if one indicates having HIV or HepC, I give them a referral if they don't get treatment.
5. Safe sex talks all the time.
6. Playing things by ear, many people do drugs alone and don't have any else to vent to or chat to about how things affect them. Some people want a referral to a methadone clinic and others never learned about rotating injection sites, so have ruined veins. Some come in just for the exchange for a few minutes and head right out. Just depends. By chatting, I usually figure out if there is a service they would benefit from going to, like a DV shelter or food pantry.
7. During downtime, I do restock.

It's not the end of the world to me if it doesn't count as clinical, it's just not super clear to me if this counts. Thanks for your help guys.
Nonclinical./ They're not patients.

Reactions: 1 user
They aren't patients. You aren't providing services that require the supervision of a licensed health professional. These are preventive services, health education and referrals for services but not clinical.

Reactions: 1 users