[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RosesAreRedVeinsAreBlue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

Strong STEM student (Chemistry B.S. Intensive) at a top 3 private school; hispanic female with GPA of 3.75 (very difficult major). Had an average practice MCAT of 512 scored 509 on exam, unbalanced (128/128/125/128). Overall happy about distribution except the fluke 125 in bio (never got that low on practice, usually around 128-130; however, happy about C/P, one of my best). I am debating a retake. How much will that 125 affect admission at mid-tier schools? Will the admission reader check my undergrad work and see I have done well in my Biology/Biochem classes and am a successful STEM student? I am aiming for schools with 511-515 ranges, banking on them noticing my 128 across the board and realizing bio was a fluke (compared to my undergrad grades). Target schools are Wake Forest, Univ. Illinois, MSU, UM, Oklahoma, Emory, George Washington, Georgetown, Indiana, McGovern, UConn, Penn States, Dartmouth, etc.
I personally would retake it and aim for that 513+

Tough call, but I wouldn't retake it because your practice exam scores were around 512. If they were 5 points higher I'd say retake. Most people don't improve the second time around and you could spend that time strengthening other areas of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Strong STEM student (Chemistry B.S. Intensive) at a top 3 private school; hispanic female with GPA of 3.75 (very difficult major). Had an average practice MCAT of 512 scored 509 on exam, unbalanced (128/128/125/128). Overall happy about distribution except the fluke 125 in bio (never got that low on practice, usually around 128-130; however, happy about C/P, one of my best). I am debating a retake. How much will that 125 affect admission at mid-tier schools? Will the admission reader check my undergrad work and see I have done well in my Biology/Biochem classes and am a successful STEM student? I am aiming for schools with 511-515 ranges, banking on them noticing my 128 across the board and realizing bio was a fluke (compared to my undergrad grades). Target schools are Wake Forest, Univ. Illinois, MSU, UM, Oklahoma, Emory, George Washington, Georgetown, Indiana, McGovern, UConn, Penn States, Dartmouth, etc.
I say strengthen other areas of your app rather than retake. I got a similar MCAT score and have multiple acceptances, including 2 of the schools on your list, but I have very strong EC's. Nobody ever brought up my MCAT score during an interview but they constantly ask about my clinical, volunteer, and research experience.

Hello,

You're fine for DO; I suspect that a Bio score that's at 50th %ile will hurt for MD.

Some of your schools are not OOS friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.