MD [deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

probablyhungry99

Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The med humanities stuff doesn't make you that boring. The amount of clinical exposure you disclose here though is a little disappointing; I usually like to see a lot more shadowing and clinical exposure for top tier schools (Stanford), but the hospice experience is intriguing. Obviously your in-state school should be contacting you unless something was really wrong with your application.

If you're trying to keep your list to 20 schools, make sure you have made contact with current students at the schools near the top of your wish list. You want to be absolutely sure you would be supported at the school through all times of difficulty (and every med student has some), and that someone with your relatively unique set of perspectives would be appreciated. Schools will come after you because of your metrics, so you have to be sure you really find great mentors and supporters among the faculty.

I was a high stat/average EC applicant (straight from undergrad) this cycle and was surprised how much I was ignored. Your EC’s are definitely stronger than mine though so you should have more success!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a high stat/average EC applicant (straight from undergrad) this cycle and was surprised how much I was ignored. Your EC’s are definitely stronger than mine though so you should have more success!

Thanks! I'm hoping at least to not be ignored by my state school; how did your cycle go overall?

The med humanities stuff doesn't make you that boring. The amount of clinical exposure you disclose here though is a little disappointing; I usually like to see a lot more shadowing and clinical exposure for top tier schools (Stanford), but the hospice experience is intriguing. Obviously your in-state school should be contacting you unless something was really wrong with your application.

If you're trying to keep your list to 20 schools, make sure you have made contact with current students at the schools near the top of your wish list. You want to be absolutely sure you would be supported at the school through all times of difficulty (and every med student has some), and that someone with your relatively unique set of perspectives would be appreciated. Schools will come after you because of your metrics, so you have to be sure you really find great mentors and supporters among the faculty.

Thanks for the insight! I agree my shadowing and clinical exposure is a bit spotty...I'm wondering how much my research will be viewed as "clinical" because I'm essentially taking a mental health history with each participant that comes in. The hospice experience was also an interesting one but I don't have too many hours from it, unfortunately, especially since I stopped going as soon as the coronavirus outbreak became a threat in the U.S. How do adcoms view experiences with medical humanities? It's something I fell in love with during undergrad and have worked closely with a faculty member at my state med school in TAing for the course and setting up the undergrad conference.

Thanks for the insight! I agree my shadowing and clinical exposure is a bit spotty...I'm wondering how much my research will be viewed as "clinical" because I'm essentially taking a mental health history with each participant that comes in. The hospice experience was also an interesting one but I don't have too many hours from it, unfortunately, especially since I stopped going as soon as the coronavirus outbreak became a threat in the U.S. How do adcoms view experiences with medical humanities? It's something I fell in love with during undergrad and have worked closely with a faculty member at my state med school in TAing for the course and setting up the undergrad conference.
It's pretty obvious that most premed applicants have a biomedical science background, so anyone who can balance the science with the "art" of medicine effectively is going to grab some attention. So many programs really like medical humanities as a means for better observational skills and empathetic communication. You probably already know this, as would faculty members who are big into the skills of "doctoring" and self-reflection. That said, you should not take my experience from it; you should contact many of your students at the schools where you really want to attend, and you should see if any admissions recruiters can give you insight.

what are your stats?

Hi,

School list:

UChicago Pritzker
NYU Grossman
Northwestern Feinberg
Columbia VPS
Vanderbilt
Cornell Weill
Harvard
Mayo (Alix)
Stanford
Case Western
UCSD
UCSF
University of Pittsburgh
University of Cincinnati
University of Michigan
OSU
my state school (which loves IS)
USC
Yale
Penn
Baylor
It's a good list, but needs some Keck/Einstein class schools as safeties.
I suggest:
NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Harvard
Mayo
Cornell
Stanford
Case
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
U CO
SLU
U VM
U WI
Your state school

I am confused. Did you apply last cycle or applying this cycle? I saw you have a WAMC thread for current cycle but you also have lot of posts about last cycle.
I applied last cycle. My friend is applying this cycle and doesn’t have an SDN so I just posted their WAMC on my account

I applied last cycle. My friend is applying this cycle and doesn’t have an SDN so I just posted their WAMC on my account
Thanks for clarifying. Maybe you should amend that post to say it's for friend. sometime high stats posts are considered as trolls if there are any discrepancies.

Reactions: 1 user