[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally I'd always make the change to something that seems like it might interest me more and could potentially lead to career advancement. The med school application process is such a crap shoot, it doesn't hurt to explore alternative careers that you might enjoy if for whatever reason you didn't become a doctor. Industrial chemistry seems like something that might be a bit more useful to your learning in med school compared to being in sales at a steel company, but ultimately I think the real gain would be in maybe finding something you could talk about with great interest during interviews rather than expressing, "meh, it's a job that's just a placeholder that pays enough." I'm sure med school interviewers hear the later all the time, but it gives you a leg up if you've got an interesting job that you enjoy talking about and seem like a go-getter.

Reactions: 1 user
I second the above post, but I also just wanted to add that 1) research tends to be overrated in importance for medical school admissions, especially if you're open to MD or DO programs and 2) the research that is looked on favorably tends to be things where you're involved in the scientific process. Lab tech positions tend to be more functional and carry out experiments that another person has designed. Those research experiences that carry the most weight are those in which you were involved in designing the experiment/took part in the scientific process.

That being said, take whichever position is more enjoyable and can best be balanced with post-bacc coursework.