This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mention medical school goals?

• Yes mention

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No do not mention

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

RapidEyeMovementLearning

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should say MD only. But I do think you need to make it clear that you want to explore research as well.

I am scheduled to interview soon for a "clinical research coordinator job" at a big name University which has a large medical school and teaching campus. I have very little research experience but good clinical work, so I am surprised they interviewed me but I'm very thankful. When they ask what my future goals are, should I state that I am interested in the medical field and applying for an MD or MD/PHD down the road? I thought this would be an acceptable answer because I don't want to deceive them, and I think it shows passion for learning and knowledge. Does anyone have experience in this scenario?

The interview will be with a panel of 5 clinical research managers, not the PI or any physicians.
For how long are they hiring you? Are you the coordinator for a particular project and will be done afterwards, or are you looking into getting hired long-term?

I would be honest with your aspirations, and make sure you let them know when you plan on applying (if you know). If they’re trying to hire someone long-term... well you wouldn’t be a good fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would lie. Then again maybe academia is ok with it. Know the lab I am in knows most of the recent grads are going to be applying to grad or medical school soon.

I wouldn't and would probably offer some vague reply of "I eventually see myself going back to school but I just graduated so I'm looking to establish myself as an adult first".

What is your time line? If it's still 2+ years out (ie you aren't planning to apply next year) it's less risky.

I thought this would be an acceptable answer because I don't want to deceive them, and I think it shows passion for learning and knowledge.

Look at it from their viewpoint, you want people who are passionate enough to do a good job but not so passionate that they want to leave.

Although with working on 15 projects it sounds like more of a factory line type operation where you are a cog that can be easily swapped out vs having major responsibilities on a project so having future aspirations won't be as much of a negative.

Last edited:
There was no indication of commitment length... Is this usually a contracted position? They stated I will coordinate about 15 projects at a time which seems like a lot. They are clinical trials for a large oncology department.
The important thing is to let them know you can commit for however long they want you

Tell them that you see yourself continuing research as an MD. That will happen in x years (yes years, they like long term commitment - usually 2)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was completely open with plans when I was at my interview (i.e. specific months). But then again my situation was pretty unique and more through connections. Based on my friends and their experiences in the gap year job process, most of them were only successful doing the opposite.

If I were you I wouldn't be too specific like "I plan on applying this upcoming cycle" or "I see myself here for a year." Just be like "I am interested in medicine and might consider medical school in the future" or "Right now I just want to establish myself and develop some real-world experience in the research world before worrying further."

When I interviewed for my current lab tech position, I was straight up with them. I really feel like that is the best path in any situation. They'll figure it out eventually when you start asking for random days off to fly to interviews. Plus, you don't burn any bridges when the time does come to leave and they thought you would be there for two years instead of one.
Maybe they pick someone else who will be there long term, but if you're a good candidate they'll make it work. Best of luck!

I think you should be honest and clear about your future ambitions. You should have at least some sort of timeline (they're definitely going to ask you for a timeline since some jobs want people for 2 years and don't like you leaving after one year) ready as a response. These types of positions commonly get pre-meds who are taking time off between undergrad and med school so it's common to have people who are pre-MD or pre-MD/PhD.

Reactions: 1 user