[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can only really speak to the second point. There is nothing in the APPIC stuff, as long as nothing has changed, about bankruptcy or credit score. The only sensitive info information we as sites receive is whether or not you have been convicted of a crime or have had significant academic action taken.

Hey there. I'm considering filing for bankruptcy (long story) and am in the process of picking up the pieces so that I will eventually be able to pursue a PhD someday.

A few questions:
  • How does bankruptcy affect stipends and grants? I know I would be ineligible for private student loans, not sure about federal.
  • Does my bankruptcy or credit affect APA internship match in any way?
  • Do they affect getting a job? e.g. if a psychiatric hospital runs a background check and sees I declared bankruptcy 7 years ago, will I get moved to the bottom of the list?

It will effect a few select positions/employers certainly--The Department of Justice (which run the Federal Bureau of Prisons) and working for the Department of Defense, as this often require a security clearance. The rational being that financial problems opens one up to temptation for "aiding and abetting" and/or selling of security secrets.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It may also impact you in private practice if you are having to deal with loans for startup (versus being hired into an established practice or partnering with those in a group practice where overhead is already established). As for internship, practicum, program application, etc... no.

I know that there is some evidence that poor credit hurts job applications in general, so I would imagine that could extend to psychologist positions.

I know that there is some evidence that poor credit hurts job applications in general, so I would imagine that could extend to psychologist positions.
I hadn't heard this, but it does sound like the type of correlation where other variables are likely to be the explanatory factor. For example, poor organization means late on bills, gets behind...bankruptcy. That poor organization might mean you mess up your resume or miss an application deadline or show up for interview late...no job.

For the OP, identifying effective strategies for remedying personal problems that could lead to something like bankruptcy would likely be more important than the actual event itself. I say this as someone who has had to overcome and improve a significant number of personal obstacles or patterns of behavior to achieve my goals. Being late for appointments, poor credit, procrastination, intimidated when dealing with authority figures, difficulty expressing emotions, maladaptive coping strategies to name just a few.

Reactions: 1 users