This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My application is complete but still waiting on one more LOR.

I've found 9 PIs I'm interested in working with and will email them all by the end of the week. If no one takes me, I'll email others. Rinse and repeat until I get a position :)

Reactions: 1 user
Would I need to have references to email PIs? Or can I try without?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually is it for MD applicants too or just MD/PhD

Was in the IRTA program, mentored several SIP students, and was highly involved with OITE things/campus life.

Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Was in the IRTA program, mentored several SIP students, and was highly involved with OITE things/campus life.

Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks! I have a couple questions. I've emailed about 30 PI's so far, have gotten polite rejections from 5, a potential interview in early January, and no replies from the rest. Do you think this is normal given the holidays? Most of the PIs that have emailed me back with rejections have said their labs are already full for next summer (although I thought I was already applying pretty early...)

Do you think it might be more helpful to email post docs instead of PIs? One PI told me he just has his post docs choose the SIP interns

Last edited:
Thanks! I have a couple questions. I've emailed about 30 PI's so far, have gotten polite rejections from 5, a potential interview in early January, and no replies from the rest. Do you think this is normal given the holidays? Most of the PIs that have emailed me back with rejections have said their labs are already full for next summer (although I thought I was already applying pretty early...)

Do you think it might be more helpful to email post docs instead of PIs? One PI told me he just has his post docs choose the SIP interns
Absolutely normal.

I would suggest polite re-emails AFTER the break.

And yes, email postdocs AND postbacs (they host SIP students as well). Just be polite and straightforward, short email and attach your CV.

PIs are often overloaded and emailing the other members is how to get a good foot in the door. That's what I did.

At this point, I've emailed close to 100 PIs to no avail; however, I have been told by a few PIs that they will make decisions for summer positions this month. Is it worth writing to more PIs or should I wait for someone to contact me?

At this point, I've emailed close to 100 PIs to no avail; however, I have been told by a few PIs that they will make decisions for summer positions this month. Is it worth writing to more PIs or should I wait for someone to contact me?
Could be more useful to send second emails or emails to the postdocs in labs.

Simple question, but where can we find info about postdocs to email? I only saw the list of PIs with links to more info.

Simple question, but where can we find info about postdocs to email? I only saw the list of PIs with links to more info.

Some labs have group pages with info about individuals in the lab. Postdocs are more likely to reply to an email but ultimately contacting PIs is a better call since they are the ones who make decisions and know what space is available in the budget etc

Reactions: 1 user
Some labs have group pages with info about individuals in the lab. Postdocs are more likely to reply to an email but ultimately contacting PIs is a better call since they are the ones who make decisions and know what space is available in the budget etc
PIs will often not pic up though! Definitely start with the PI, but don't expect much.