[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty much as the title says. I have a perfect 4.0 GPA in all of my science prerequisites (most of them taken after I graduated from my first degree in economics). My cumulative GPA is approx 3.1, however (depending on how retakes are calculated). Most of the science prereqs, however, were done at junior/community colleges. Will this be a detriment to my application? I have a stellar (way above average for the schools I'm considering) GRE and great LORs. I just feel frustrated that there is really nothing I can do to change that cumulative GPA - I really tanked my sophomore and junior year back in undergrad, failing a class and receiving several C's, so it would take a LOT of post-bacc work to pull my GPA up even 0.1...
I was in a similar situation. tanked sophomore year. failed chemistry, made a bunch of Cs.

I got my act together and busted my butt. Worked on strengthening the other areas of my application: good GRE, 2500+ hours in PT clinic, assisted with research.

I have an interview at St. augustine Austin on Aug 5. If you strengthen up the rest of your application, you still have a very legitimate chance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Pretty much as the title says. I have a perfect 4.0 GPA in all of my science prerequisites (most of them taken after I graduated from my first degree in economics). My cumulative GPA is approx 3.1, however (depending on how retakes are calculated). Most of the science prereqs, however, were done at junior/community colleges. Will this be a detriment to my application? I have a stellar (way above average for the schools I'm considering) GRE and great LORs. I just feel frustrated that there is really nothing I can do to change that cumulative GPA - I really tanked my sophomore and junior year back in undergrad, failing a class and receiving several C's, so it would take a LOT of post-bacc work to pull my GPA up even 0.1...

When are you planning on applying? One thing you can do is target schools that look at last 60 credit hours instead of cum GPA. If you can get your last 60 at or close to 4.0 (may require another semester or two of classes, depending on how your senior year grades were), you'd likely have an excellent shot at those types of schools. Check out the FAQ sticky for links to threads discussing which programs look at last 60 or google "DPT Last 60 GPA" to find programs. You can also target your apps to schools that weigh prereq GPA and GRE scores more heavily.

Generally, most programs don't care or even consider where you did your prerequisites (whether at a cc or university). I had a similar concern and contacted a bunch of programs I was looking at, and every single one of them indicated that they didn't care where I took prereqs. This isn't universal, however. I've seen a couple of programs that state they prefer or require that certain prereqs be taken at a university, or look at the 'competitiveness' of the institution you attended, etc. And some programs do care about rigor aka course-load- so if you did well at prereqs but weren't taking a full course-load, you may want to take another semester with a full load of math/science classes to show that you can handle the work. Don't hesitate to contact programs you're interested in to ask these questions-- since every program is different that will be your best way to get a definitive answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While many schools have a minimum cumulative GPA requirement, not all include it as part of your evaluation. For some, it may be just a check box that you meet the requirement. Look for these school or ones that look at last 60 hours or minimally weight cumulative GPA.

At this time, most schools do not differentiate between community colleges and 4-year colleges and universities. Many do require that you have a Bachelors degree, but your prerequisite courses probably do not need to be completed at that school.

As many other people have said; research the schools that you are thinking of applying to, know their requirements, only apply to schools where you meet their minimum requirements, recognize that minimums are the minimum for your application to be reviewed and not the minimum to receive and interview, and if you have questions about a program call or email and talk to someone.

Good luck.

I was in a similar situation when I applied last cycle. I got accepted to one school with a low cumulative GPA and a high prereq GPA. Most schools will care that you've improved and are able to do well in the prerequisite courses.