[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notyouraverageapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This belongs in WAMC. Your ECs look good. Your MCAT is good. Apply broadly and wisely. I'm not an expert on which schools you should pick, I will leave that to other SDNers to help you with.

Your stats and ECs seem pretty strong.
I guess the adcoms might have concerns about your GPA if it's not an upward trend, but I think you'd be as strong an applicant as any.
Does your cGPA account for the original letter grade received for the retakes? If not AMCAS takes both grades and averages them so make sure you include that in the calculation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All the classes I had retaken were from freshmen year and first semester of sophomore year. Ever since then I have only received A's in all my classes. And yes my gpa was calculated based on the AMCAS scale. If I only account for retaken courses my GPA is about a 3.8.

What schools should I look in to?
Did you get F's or D's in the classes you retook, or did you actually withdraw from them and get W's?

Embarrassing enough, yes I got D's in all of them (D+ in the math one) except for a C+ in the econ class.
Ah okay. I was thinking if you got the W's, then the 3.8 GPA would actually count as your AMCAS, but since they were D's you are stuck with the 3.5. I still say that you have a good chance at med schools

I used the spreadsheet at the link below to choose my schools, complemented by MSAR and US News.
http://is.gd/sdn_med_matriculant_data

I think the spreadsheet hasn't been updated in the recent months, but the figures seemed relatively constant when I compared them to current data (at least the schools I was interested in).

Two criteria (other than MCAT and GPA of course) I used was class size and OOS percentage.
I tried to choose schools that had at least 100 matriculants each year and OOS over 60~70%.
After that, it's the location, residency opportunities (if interested in a specific specialty), environment, curriculum, mission statement, etc.

Pretty much any school within the LizzyM score of 60-69 you will have a fairly good shot, unless they are state schools.

Last edited:
There's already a FAQ about "Am I competitive thread?":

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-my-chances-threads.233319/

In short, get MSAR, look at past AAMC statistics from the source:

MSAR: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/. It costs a few books for full access, but if your aren't prepared to pay this minimum amount I have bad news for you come applications =)

And AAMC stats: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

Stratify yourself, you'll get a better answer that you can take to the bank.

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 34

I am currently a senior applying to medical school majoring in biology and have retaken 5 courses (2 general bio classes, 1 math class, 1 econ class and 1 general chemistry class). I had a part time job starting my sophomore year of college till now. I have shadowed both D.O. and M.D. for over 100 hours total and volunteered in hospitals for over 300 hours. I have research since freshmen year between 3 different labs (published for 1 journal and 1 symposium). I have done a service learning program abroad and am a certified EMT. I held a leadership position every year of college in one of my premed clubs and also the president of my dance group. I also have an internship as a dancer for a local studio and have other volunteer experiences with Americorps.

Am I competitive for medical school? Which ones should I look into? Will the amount of classes I retook look really bad? Should I consider doing a masters/post bacc program? HELP.

Yes. Apply early and broadly!

First, quit fussing. Your numbers are fine. You should aim for your state school (if any) and all low-medium tier schools. I trust you have some decent ECs?

post-bac/SMP is NOT necessary!

You appear to have a strong upward trend, and there are schools that definitely reward re-invention (like BU or Albany).

Am I competitive for medical school? Which ones should I look into? Will the amount of classes I retook look really bad? Should I consider doing a masters/post bacc program? HELP.

Reactions: 1 user

I am currently a senior applying to medical school majoring in biology and have retaken 5 courses (2 general bio classes, 1 math class, 1 econ class and 1 general chemistry class). I had a part time job starting my sophomore year of college till now. I have shadowed both D.O. and M.D. for over 100 hours total and volunteered in hospitals for over 300 hours. I have research since freshmen year between 3 different labs (published for 1 journal and 1 symposium). I have done a service learning program abroad and am a certified EMT. I held a leadership position every year of college in one of my premed clubs and also the president of my dance group. I also have an internship as a dancer for a local studio and have other volunteer experiences with Americorps.

Your GPA is good, sGPA is good, ECs are great and a nice MCAT score. I understand you had some Ds, but oh well. You still look like a nice candidate. I hope you have already applied for this years cycle, if not I would apply early next year to some MD school and some DO school, specially your instate ones. I believe you are competitive enough and have a great chance of getting in. Just be prepared to answer the Ds you got in your classes. Good luck.