[Deleted post]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrot395

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted post]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a third year medical student and I absolutely love my internal medicine rotation. I would like to think about doing residency in a reputable hospital in NYC... but there are so many hospitals in NYC area + Long Island, I don't know where to start!

My step 1 score is 235 which is pretty average. I am still waiting for my grades to come back from all the other rotations, but I think it's going to be honors or high pass.

Thank you

Is there a reason why NYC specifically?

Isn't it really easy to do IM in NYC because of how horrible it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it really easy to do IM in NYC because of how horrible it is?

It's easy in the sense that there are alot of IMG sweatshops in NYC but if you're talking about the big 4 (Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU) it's actually quite competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
It's easy in the sense that there are alot of IMG sweatshops in NYC but if you're talking about the big 4 (Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU) it's actually quite competitive.

I can’t imagine that it was a serious question. Those 4 programs are amongst the most competitive in the country.

As far as op’s question monte is the program that you’d have the highest chances of matching at. Without top 25 medical school, AOA OR a PhD, OR a first author nature paper (and steps >240-250) the likelihood of matching let alone an interview at any of the 4 manhattan programs is quite low. Unfortunately after monte the other programs in the are that are worth looking at aren’t quite as reputable, although still good places to train. This includes Rutgers in NJ and NSLIJ on Long Island. If you’d be willing to branch out a bit Yale is somewhere between the competitiveness of the big 4 in NYC and monte, BU, Jefferson, UMD, Hopkins bayview and Georgetown are all solid reputable programs to train at. If you’re set on NYC I would include higher ranked community programs like SLR and Lenox Hill and lower ranked academic like stony brook. If you have a decent app and you’re willing to look at RWJ NSLIJ in addition to monte I’d be surprised if you didn’t match at one of those 3.

@kittycat007

Reactions: 1 users
What makes them so horrible?

Many of the IM residencies in NYC (especially Brooklyn and the Bronx) are primarily filled with FMGs/IMGs and they work their butt off every day, not only with doctor work but with nursing/scutwork due to how chronically understaffed most NYC hospitals are on nursing and tech positions.

Reactions: 1 users
Many of the IM residencies in NYC (especially Brooklyn and the Bronx) are primarily filled with FMGs/IMGs and they work their butt off every day, not only with doctor work but with nursing/scutwork due to how chronically understaffed most NYC hospitals are on nursing and tech positions.

The better programs (ie more reputable) in nyc don’t suffer these issues nearly as badly as some of the ones you’re describing above. Still the training in NYC is rigorous no matter where you train. This is not a bad thing necessarily but as you move into the lower tier academic and fmg/img community programs there is definitely less support and “rigorous” training morphs into lack of ancillary support.

Also, I’ve noticed a lot of people’s impressions on the scut and lack of ancillary support at nyc IM programs is outdated. I’ve rotated or trained at several of the academic and higher ranked community programs in the city since 2011. To me some places are definitely worse than others but overall there wasn’t some massive epidemic of patient transport, blood draws (besides a code or urgent scenario), or other non-educational scut. Without much of my own experience and from word of mouth only I do believe that some of the lower ranked programs do suffer these issues though

The better programs (ie more reputable) in nyc don’t suffer these issues nearly as badly as some of the ones you’re describing above. Still the training in NYC is rigorous no matter where you train. This is not a bad thing necessarily but as you move into the lower tier academic and fmg/img community programs there is definitely less support and “rigorous” training morphs into lack of ancillary support.

Yeah, I'm not trying to crap on New York, just that some of the lower ranked programs have a lot more scut type work than you'd expect if you're not familiar with the area. Just something to watch out for if you're trying desperately to move to NYC but are unfamiliar with some of the programs.

I am a third year medical student and I absolutely love my internal medicine rotation. I would like to think about doing residency in a reputable hospital in NYC... but there are so many hospitals in NYC area + Long Island, I don't know where to start!

My step 1 score is 235 which is pretty average. I am still waiting for my grades to come back from all the other rotations, but I think it's going to be honors or high pass.

Thank you

If you're still geographically inflexible, then quite simply, you apply to all and cross your fingers.