[Deleted post]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrot395

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted post]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well where do you want to live? Upstate and NYC are totally different lifestyles and living costs. As a new yorker, I'd personally go for stony brook, but IMO this is a huge personal decision that you'll have to really sit down and think about the best place for you as an individual.

It would help if you gave us more information on what's important to you - i.e. pass/fail (Stonybrook is not true p/f), ideal living, curriculum preferences, research interest, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd go for either Hofstra or Stony Brook, but like the others said it depends on which factors you consider more important. As for location, Upstate would be my last choice. Bing is in the middle of nowhere and all my friends who go there for undergrad say that the location definitely isn't their favorite thing about it. Of the four, Downstate is known for having the best clinical exposure if that's important to you (makes sense, being the only one in a major city). I couldn't really differentiate much between the other two because I'm just kinda pulling this stuff from the top of my head, so you'd have to do some research. Stony Brook is well-established but I've heard great things about Hofstra in its first few years. Best of luck!!

I think I'd rule out Upstate primarily because it's the Binghamton campus (Syracuse>Bing imo, but we don't need to worry about that here. I actually really liked Syracuse when I visited). Hofstra and Stony Brook are your best options I think; Hofstra's facilities are brand spanking new but Stony's tuition as an IS resident is going to be much nicer... Stony's area is also nicer in comparison to Hofstra but farther removed from the city. Either way, LIRR runs to and fro Penn Station so NYC is not a problem if you want to visit or connect from NYP elsewhere.

I interviewed at Up and Downstate but I live 10 min from Stony Brook and 30 from Hofstra on the island. Didn't get great vibes from Downstate unfortunately, however as the user above me noted, clinical exposure cannot be beat there (and you are only a quick 2 or 5 subway into Manhattan). Upstates COA will be the cheapest though.

Congrats on your acceptances by the way -- you must be a stellar applicant!

Last edited:
I would go with SBU because of cost, research, and rep.

I am a big fan of the program at Hofstra. That being said, this is not supposed to be my decision.

Hofstra. LIJ is better than SB Hospital. Better location, too. Only downside is the money so compare the aid packages.

The cheapest option you have is the one Id take. Not a close call either. If all 3 SUNYs are about the same price, go for fit; upstate new york and the NYC/Long Island location are somewhat different to say the absolute least.

Flip a coin for Stony Brook and Hofstra Northwell, > SUNY Downstate, medical school > SUNY Upstate (Binghamton campus),

Hi guys,

So I am accepted into 4 medical schools - . What are your opinions? Thanks

I like pediatrics and internal medicine. I am thinking about specializing in GI because I majored in nutrition as undergrad.

Flip a coin for Stony Brook and Hofstra Northwell, > SUNY Downstate, medical school > SUNY Upstate (Binghamton campus),

Do you think you would equate Upstate and Downstate if it were Syracuse campus?

Moving to SSD 15-16

Also reporting works better because sometimes I don't get notifications for tags just FYI

Reactions: 1 user