Delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I researched the school a lot when I was making my decision this year. I also emailed back and forth with a student who graduated from their first class and put this pro/con list together from some of their emails and my own research. Hope it helps.

Pros
  • The hospital is pretty well known in the NJ/NY/Pen area. Hackensack Meridian is the best network in NJ
  • P/F Pre-clinical
  • 3 year program, can go straight into select residencies within the Meridian system (large NJ system) as a third year. Alternatively, can get an MPH, MBA, do research, do advanced rotations, or obtain a masters in bioengineering after 3rd year
  • We got a good amount of time to study for boards which allowed you to build in some vacations there
  • I have a lot of friends that are doing the 3-year program and felt like they were well prepared.
  • For rotations, they have it set up where you are either focused in the north with your main base being Hackensack UMC or down at the Jersey shore medical center in Neptune.
  • The towns there all blend together and I lived in Clifton, Nutley, and Montclair. They all have their own vibe, Montclair is a really cool town that has its own community feel which isn’t overshadowed by NYC but is still a direct train ride into the city.
  • For the first 1.5 years when you are doing pre-clinical, I wouldn’t worry about the traffic too much. There are a lot of good places to live that are within 20 ish minutes of the school that are all on surface roads and don’t see a lot of traffic.
  • I never felt like my commute was cutting into my studying/personal time.
  • In terms of housing, I ended up doing 1-year leases and lived in Nutley, Montclair, and Clifton. I had a roommate all 4 years to help with the cost and was also nice since I was moving across the country and didn’t know anyone.
  • There is a lot less traffic down at the shore and is a bit on the cheaper side to live too. I loved my rotations at the shore since it was easier to get around and there was a little bit more open space, and you had the boardwalk and ocean right there.
  • flipped classroom style (maybe a con?)
  • Super new facilities
Cons
  • The hard part with NJ epically northern NJ by Hackensack is the sheer amount of traffic which can really add to your drive.
  • Higher COL area
  • Seems that the accelerated curriculum can get stressful and overwhelming, cutting out breaks
  • No school gym
  • Newer school - not much of a reputation. Potentially harder to match into competitive residencies.
  • Commuter campus; choose either a North or South Jersey track for rotations. May be tough to maintain friendships with the class being split up. Lots of driving/ traffic especially in North Jersey.
  • Required attendance for PBL, team-based learning, and large group active learning (8am-12pm on-campus commitment pretty much every day is what a former student told me).
  • Higher COL

I researched the school a lot when I was making my decision this year. I also emailed back and forth with a student who graduated from their first class and put this pro/con list together from some of their emails and my own research. Hope it helps.

Pros
  • The hospital is pretty well known in the NJ/NY/Pen area. Hackensack Meridian is the best network in NJ
  • P/F Pre-clinical
  • 3 year program, can go straight into select residencies within the Meridian system (large NJ system) as a third year. Alternatively, can get an MPH, MBA, do research, do advanced rotations, or obtain a masters in bioengineering after 3rd year
  • We got a good amount of time to study for boards which allowed you to build in some vacations there
  • I have a lot of friends that are doing the 3-year program and felt like they were well prepared.
  • For rotations, they have it set up where you are either focused in the north with your main base being Hackensack UMC or down at the Jersey shore medical center in Neptune.
  • The towns there all blend together and I lived in Clifton, Nutley, and Montclair. They all have their own vibe, Montclair is a really cool town that has its own community feel which isn’t overshadowed by NYC but is still a direct train ride into the city.
  • For the first 1.5 years when you are doing pre-clinical, I wouldn’t worry about the traffic too much. There are a lot of good places to live that are within 20 ish minutes of the school that are all on surface roads and don’t see a lot of traffic.
  • I never felt like my commute was cutting into my studying/personal time.
  • In terms of housing, I ended up doing 1-year leases and lived in Nutley, Montclair, and Clifton. I had a roommate all 4 years to help with the cost and was also nice since I was moving across the country and didn’t know anyone.
  • There is a lot less traffic down at the shore and is a bit on the cheaper side to live too. I loved my rotations at the shore since it was easier to get around and there was a little bit more open space, and you had the boardwalk and ocean right there.
  • flipped classroom style (maybe a con?)
  • Super new facilities
Cons
  • The hard part with NJ epically northern NJ by Hackensack is the sheer amount of traffic which can really add to your drive.
  • Higher COL area
  • Seems that the accelerated curriculum can get stressful and overwhelming, cutting out breaks
  • No school gym
  • Newer school - not much of a reputation. Potentially harder to match into competitive residencies.
  • Commuter campus; choose either a North or South Jersey track for rotations. May be tough to maintain friendships with the class being split up. Lots of driving/ traffic especially in North Jersey.
  • Required attendance for PBL, team-based learning, and large group active learning (8am-12pm on-campus commitment pretty much every day is what a former student told me).
  • Higher COL
Thank you so much this is extremely helperful thank you. I am adding this to the post

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much this is extremely helperful thank you
No problem. I also went to a campus tour a few weeks ago and thought the building itself was nice but kind of sterile/clinical if that makes sense. No undergrad campus nearby, kind of an isolated area. There is also a current student on YouTube and I watched a few of his videos:

Good luck with your decision!

Originally I would've thought OUWB, but w/ the scholarship I'd go w/ Seton Hall. There's not too much difference in opportunities btwn the schools.