delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted588485

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't Planned Parenthood do a lot of this? (Assuming it'll still be around then...)

Previously, I posted a question on different career options in OB/GYN, that allowed one to opt out of OB. My question was, in part, motivated by my experiences working as receptionist for a solo gynecologist who dropped OB as her patients aged.

Recently, we were discussing patients who insisted on needing immediate appointments, even if their problems had persisted for multiple weeks or cycles. Our conversation piqued my interest in different practice models.

Are there urgent clinic/walk-in clinics that specialize in gynecology? I'd imagine that many women would use this service to quickly refill a BC prescription, receive examination for a suspected yeast infection, or complete STD testing -- especially uninsured women.

I found a link to a similar pre-existing practice: http://www.expertgyn.com/what-we-do/

What are your thoughts on this practice model? Is it common? Viable in gynecology?

I am not a gynecologist, but I'm curious....where do you see yourself in a GYN-only urgent care? Owning it and running it? Or being one of the physicians who sees patients there? Do you plan on ever operating, or just doing office GYN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just have a regular practice and have open scheduling?

Previously, I posted a question on different career options in OB/GYN, that allowed one to opt out of OB. My question was, in part, motivated by my experiences working as receptionist for a solo gynecologist who dropped OB as her patients aged.

Recently, we were discussing patients who insisted on needing immediate appointments, even if their problems had persisted for multiple weeks or cycles. Our conversation piqued my interest in different practice models.

Are there urgent clinic/walk-in clinics that specialize in gynecology? I'd imagine that many women would use this service to quickly refill a BC prescription, receive examination for a suspected yeast infection, or complete STD testing -- especially uninsured women.

I found a link to a similar pre-existing practice: http://www.expertgyn.com/what-we-do/

What are your thoughts on this practice model? Is it common? Viable in gynecology?

Again, not a gynecologist, but I have not heard much about GYN-only urgent care/walk-in clinics. You're right - most of the people who would take advantage to this are likely to be uninsured women. The problem is - uninsured women do not generate much money, and it will be hard to make enough money to keep the practice afloat. I don't know how much demand there would be for such a clinic, either.

I would also worry about you doing urgent care right off the bat. You did not go through an incredibly difficult and stressful 4 year residency, just to treat only yeast infections or routine STDs all the time. (A nurse practitioner or a PA can do that as well as you can, with far fewer years of schooling). Also, would you be able to successfully transition into a full-time clinical position if this didn't pan out?

Finally, I wonder why you're opposed to doing OB. Believe me, owning your own practice and being the solo practitioner (at least for the first few years you are open) is WAY more time intensive and painful than OB call.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a gyn either but the problem I see with this kind of thing is that things like STD checks, yeast infections, and other routine minor gyn issues are already well within the scope of "normal" emergency departments and urgent cares. Why should a woman look for a super specialized gyn urgent care when there are plenty of one-stop-shop urgent cares she can already go to? That Manhattan walk in gyn clinic makes me raise an eyebrow with their $500 "well woman" exam that includes an ultrasound just for funsies.

Honestly, if you like minor gyn issues but don't like OB, then I think it would probably make more sense to do Family Medicine than OB/gyn. It would be easy to be an FM who does things like Paps and no OB at all. Many women see their PCP for routine well woman gyn issues but don't expect their PCP to deliver their baby. That's exactly how it was for me - I saw my PCP for all gyn issues until I wound up connecting with an OB/gyn for my pregnancy.

I think it is definitely significant that your mentor drifted out of OB *after* having spent time doing it rather than trying to avoid it altogether from the start. As one myself, I believe most women of childbearing age would find it disappointing if they developed a relationship with a gyn only to find out that gyn won't see them for a pregnancy and they now have to find some rando to deliver their baby. :)
Don't underestimate how much the relationship aspect means to patients. I suspect that one reason why you have patients calling the gyn you work for trying to get in to see her right away rather than just going to an urgent care is because they want HER to take care of them, not just any random gynecologist. I was actually really surprised at how attached I felt to my own ob/gyn by the time the baby was born, since after all I am a medical professional myself and used to detachment in clinical encounters. Pregnancy hormones, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user