Delay or not to delay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matty_Boosie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have submitted all my apps for this cycle and my DAT is scheduled for July 10th. I am scoring OK on the Booster timed exams (~22AA) but thats not good enough. I have a very solid app besides the DAT but most of the people in my life are just saying take the DAT and get it over with. I really want to go to a top research school and my undergrad research is extremely strong. Should I push my DAT back until the end of July/early august or does that negate my early applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your Booster practice test scores are actually decent! And I also recommend not focusing on the scores but if youre actually understanding the material. Id use those tests to assess which area(s) need more work. I highly recommend the video explanations! Id take the exam on your regularly scheduled day, delaying it will only increase the nerves and potentially make your application considered late

Members don't see this ad :)
I was averaging 19 on my DAT's and ended up with a 24 AA. I think practice tests are usually harder than the real thing

Reactions: 1 user
I have submitted all my apps for this cycle and my DAT is scheduled for July 10th. I am scoring OK on the Booster timed exams (~18-19AA) but thats not good enough. I have a very solid app besides the DAT but most of the people in my life are just saying take the DAT and get it over with. I really want to go to a top research school and my undergrad research is extremely strong. Should I push my DAT back until the end of July or does that negate my early applications?
Hi, this is a decision only you can make. People in your life are well meaning I am sure, but taking the DAT just to get it over with is not a good idea especially if you are feeling doubtful. We all have intuiation and sounds like yours is telling you to take a little more time. IMO and and what I tell my students is to always weigh on the side of caution and never take the DAT until you are fully prepared. Going in feeling confident and prepared you can hopefully avoid a retake. Many students take the DAT in August and later and get in next cycle.

Hope this helps. Wishing you the very best.
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Delay the test if you don't feel confident. You want to avoid retaking it.

Push it back if YOU want to push it back, if you don't feel ready. On the other hand, no one ever feels truly ready.

I was told by everyone when I was about to take it to just do it and get it over with. I ended up paying the fee and delaying it, and I found it to be the best decision ever. However, I took it several months ago, so I had the "luxury", so to speak, of being able to postpone it with no adverse outcomes if I did so.

Only YOU will know if you need to delay it or not. Good luck.