Delay MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nynh19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on taking the MCAT on 8/18. I’ve taken a few practice tests and my scores have varied. As of right now, I’m not sure what to do. I’m aiming for a 508.
EK1: 60% ouch... but I’ve heard these ones are hard
Kaplan 1: 495 (126/124/124/122)
NS FL 1: 506 (127/124/127/128)
AAMC FL 1: 501 (127/124/126/124)
I was really hoping the AAMC would be better today. I felt confident on C/P but felt psych/Soc was very difficult. CARS is onbviously a weak point. Any advice on improving to a 508 by August 18? Not sure if that’s even possible. That’s about 3 weeks away.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how dramatic of an improvement you can make in 3 weeks before the test. It will depend on your strategy, but if you take it in August, make sure you prepare full-time these 3 weeks.

Are you planning to apply until next year? If so, you would have an opportunity to extend your preparation time and take the test next year (e.g. January) and maximize chances for a score improvement.

I don't know how dramatic of an improvement you can make in 3 weeks before the test. It will depend on your strategy, but if you take it in August, make sure you prepare full-time these 3 weeks.

Are you planning to apply until next year? If so, you would have an opportunity to extend your preparation time and take the test next year (e.g. January) and maximize chances for a score improvement.
Yes planning to apply next year. I will be preparing full time these next three weeks. I’ll be starting the semester again right after the exam and I’m worried about delaying and studying during the semester.

Yes planning to apply next year. I will be preparing full time these next three weeks. I’ll be starting the semester again right after the exam and I’m worried about delaying and studying during the semester.
It seems that you have three options:
1.) If you believe you can make improvement in these 3 weeks of hard preparation and reach the score you're aiming for, then I guess you can take the exam on August.
2.) In case you take on August and you're not satisfied with your score, you can always set some time to prepare during the semester and re-take next year. You can prepare part-time during the fall semester and then take advantage of the winter break to wrap up your preparation full-time.
3.) If you don't believe taking this August would work, then take it until next year and prepare like said in 2.)
Good luck!