"deformed"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Which solid deforms upon heating at atmospheric pressure?"

deform
v 1: make formless;
v 2: twist and press out of shape

This is the explanation which illustrates what this word means:
"The deformation of a solid can be associated with the change of solid phase from solid A to solid B. [This solid has two solid phases]."

Changing solid phases is changing the lattice structure of said solid. I wouldn't expect it to deform. I would expect this term to mean solid to liquid or gas.

Is this a scientific term that i'm unaware of or is TBR just cool like that?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

amorphous solids like glass will deform when heated at atmospheric pressures...

dsoz

Think about a diamond changing to a graphite. As the lattice structure changes, the shape of the object will have to change itself - you cannot rearrange all the atoms without some changes of the whole object.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think about a diamond changing to a graphite. As the lattice structure changes, the shape of the object will have to change itself - you cannot rearrange all the atoms without some changes of the whole object.

yes that's true.

can you think of why solid --> gas/liquid is not included in this definition?

yes that's true.

can you think of why solid --> gas/liquid is not included in this definition?

Neither of them has a shape. Wether losing shape is deformation or not is a question more worthy for a philosophy class. After all, there's not solid left to be considered deformed.

also, for this passage: "How can the 2 different solids be explained for both of the compounds?" -- Why can't "the two solids have different connectvity of atoms" be an answer. The answer is "the 2 solids have different lattice structures.

If the 2 compounds are different, wouldn't they have different connectivity of atoms, and thus different lattice structures?

Last edited:
the definition of phase change. it's because if they are in different phases, then the molecules that comprise the solid are by definition differently arranged in space. if they change connectivity, then it is no longer the same solid but something else; this is not a phase change.

anyone still know why different connectivity doesn't mean different solids?

the definition of phase change. it's because if they are in different phases, then the molecules that comprise the solid are by definition differently arranged in space. if they change connectivity, then it is no longer the same solid but something else; this is not a phase change.
Connectivity in this case is then referring to intramolecular bonds (which determine the compound) as opposed to intermolecular bonds which determine the properties of the solid.

It's just a badly worded question. I would take "deform" to mean any change in shape including from solid to liquid.