Define somethings for me please.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dan the man

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a degree in natural medicine, but when I read definitions of allopathy, osteopathy, naturopathy, etc. I have a hard time distinguishing the differences. If anyone can clarify these I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,

------------------
?????man

Members don't see this ad.

Answer in a nutshell: with allopathy and osteopathy, practicioners practice MEDICINE in all scientifically accepted forms. With naturopathy, practicioners do not practice MEDICINE in any form, because doing so would constitute practicing medicine without a license. A difference between an osteopath and an allopath is that the former is conferred a DO while the latter an MD after graduation. Some DOs also manipulate.

Can you elaborate on your interest in a degree in natural medicine?
The allopathic and osteopathic fields are both 4 year programs each requiring additional residency programs of 3-7 years depending on field of specialty. The osteopathic field differs in the manner of teaching, it is a holistic (whole body) approach to treating the patient. Emphasis is placed on the nervous and skeletal system interaction with the body. In addition, OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative Technique) courses are taught throughout the curriculum to show how the interaction of skeletal and muscle interactions contribute to health. For more information read The Difference a DO Makes.

Good Luck in your search
-Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited 02-16-99).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Naturopathic students do take many of the same basic science courses that allopathic/ostepathic students take...lots of biochem, pathology, anatomy, physiology, etc. However, they generally focus on natural treatments/therapies and preventions of disease through nutrition/lifestyle and proper use of herbs, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, massage, etc.

Many of the naturopaths I have had the opportunity to meet have been very knowledgeable, intelligent, and caring people. And they definitely aren't as crazy and nonanalytical as some of the clerks you'll meet in a natural supplement store (myself excepted, of course).

Originally posted by ussdfiant
bump

I guess people wouldn't discredit naturopathy if it actually had some basis in science rather than supposition. I have yet to find many valid studies that show supplemental herbs can help alleviate morbidity; although I do admit there are a few out there. What's more troubling to me, is that some people start believing that they can cure any disease using natural supplements when in fact, they truly need medical intervention. While I don't disagree that they may be very intelligent people who truly have a desire to help people, I wouldn't even call what they do medicine. IMHO

There are several "alternative" clinics in Portland, OR who have MD/ND staff members. I wonder how they compromise the two vastly different appraoaches? I should get an introduction, do a little research, and report back

Thanks for the article Skip!