Deficient Folate Levels Linked to Age-Related Hearing Loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Full Article: http://audiology.advanceweb.com/New...Levels-Linked-to-Hearing-Loss-in-Elderly.aspx

Age-related hearing loss, one of the most prevalent chronic conditions in the elderly, is associated with low serum levels of folic acid, according to new research published in the December 2010 issue of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.

Hearing loss is a major public health problem, with more than 28 million Americans between the ages of 60 and 74 dealing with the condition. Despite the high prevalence of hearing impairment, the biological basis of ge-related hearing loss is unknown. In the current study, findings show that low serum levels of folic acid among elderly people are significantly associated with hearing loss in high frequencies.

"Based on our research, age-related hearing loss may be associated with poor micronutrient status," said study author Akeen Olawale Lasisi, MBChB, FWACS, FMCORL. "The role of folate in cellular metabolism, the nervous system and vascular function are important for the auditory system.

Members don't see this ad.

I read this today too. I am going to read the full article when I get the time. Quite interesting.