Dedicated Study Schedule Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok 2nd year ended yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out if my dedicated schedule will work or not.

Below-average student aiming for a 240. During the last semester I got through a first pass of UW in random-timed mode with the following metrics.

Cumulative score: 47%
  • Biochem (37%), Immunology (37%), Genetics (40%) are my weakest main division sections.
  • Endocrine (38%) & Reproductive (Male - 33%, Pregnancy - 41%) are my weakest sub divisions.
NBME13: 175

My plan is to read a FA chapter from one of the above sections, then work through each subject in timed subject mode UW, because with the above scores I feel as though I do not have the content mastery to approach them in random-timed mode yet.

Once I do that for the above sections, plus a couple other big ones (CV, Pulm, ID), I plan to take another NBME and see where I stand, because if I'm still scoring poorly I will need to ask for an extension from my school.

I have 33 days (>4.5 weeks) from today, and can ask for an extension for up up to 5 weeks additionally.

What do you guys think about my plan, and is my score attainable?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That plan sounds fine. Focus on those weak areas and retake an NBME. Have you started your second pass of UW?

You've already been through U-World once, were a below average student, have a baseline of 175, and want a 240 in 4 weeks?

May God be with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Took NBME 15 this AM, got a 200 (370, 51 wrong)

Improvement in almost every area except for diagnosis, which was odd.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through my 2nd pass of UW. Am going to start Kaplan tomorrow, along with a re-read of FA, starting with my weak areas, and then moving onto the whole book.

My scheduled test date is in 12 days, but I just put in my request to push it back. No point in taking it if it I'm not ready. With the extension I will have 68 days to study for this beast.

Planning to take another practice exam in 2 weeks (NBME 16) to see where I stand.

Any pointers?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You've already been through U-World once, were a below average student, have a baseline of 175, and want a 240 in 4 weeks?

May God be with you.

Buddy how about some real advice and not shoving my face in the fact that I'm not some SDN God like most people on these boards?

Reactions: 3 users
Buddy how about some real advice and not shoving my face in the fact that I'm not some SDN God like most people on these boards?
68 additional days or total? Trying to see how many days you have to give a better assessment. Are you MD or DO? Top 10 school? This could give some insight into whether you have experience as a good test taker (I.e. You did well on the MCAT). Overall, without this knowledge, focus on weak areas. Personally I am somewhat in a similar situation. Scored in the 160s back in early January before systems. Took an NBME after studying three systems and scored a 194. When you did UWorld first pass had you learned everything?

68 additional days or total? Trying to see how many days you have to give a better assessment. Are you MD or DO? Top 10 school? This could give some insight into whether you have experience as a good test taker (I.e. You did well on the MCAT). Overall, without this knowledge, focus on weak areas. Personally I am somewhat in a similar situation. Scored in the 160s back in early January before systems. Took an NBME after studying three systems and scored a 194. When you did UWorld first pass had you learned everything?

If I got the extension I would have 68 total days from today to study.

MD, top 50. Scored in the >90% on the MCAT, but studied for ~9 months on and off, as I was not a science major (Ecology).

Going through UW I had learned maybe 60% of the Organ system material, and <50% of the basic science material. As I said I was a below average student throughout the first year and as a result my biochem/immunology/genetics background is weak.

If I got the extension I would have 68 total days from today to study.

MD, top 50. Scored in the >90% on the MCAT, but studied for ~9 months on and off, as I was not a science major (Ecology).

Going through UW I had learned maybe 60% of the Organ system material, and <50% of the basic science material. As I said I was a below average student throughout the first year and as a result my biochem/immunology/genetics background is weak.
Highly suggest postponing and using Boards and Beyond or Kaplan to review basic sciences. Seems like you've got potential of getting around a 240 if you just work hard for the extra 2 months. A 200 is a great place to be 2 months before your exam. I'm at a 194 taken 3 weeks ago and I've got 6 weeks left..

Highly suggest postponing and using Boards and Beyond or Kaplan to review basic sciences. Seems like you've got potential of getting around a 240 if you just work hard for the extra 2 months. A 200 is a great place to be 2 months before your exam. I'm at a 194 taken 3 weeks ago and I've got 6 weeks left..

Why reason why you chose those two resources as your recommendation? Trying to figure out which might be the best books to supplement my obviously lacking basic science knowledge, or just to stick with FA.

And hey man I think you've got the potential to move up, only thing to do is to target your weaknesses and then keep grinding.

Good luck!

So, took NBME16 and got a 210.

My areas of weakness were all over the place.

Starting to freak out.

32 days out.

Any advice?

So, took NBME16 and got a 210.

My areas of weakness were all over the place.

Starting to freak out.

32 days out.

Any advice?
Take a deep breath. I was right where you are (although I'm at the 12 day window now). Just review things again. Personally, I'm watching all of Boards and Beyond as a refresher over my last 2 weeks and finishing UW. I'm also going to use my Anki deck of pharm cards to review some drugs

Take a deep breath. I was right where you are (although I'm at the 12 day window now). Just review things again. Personally, I'm watching all of Boards and Beyond as a refresher over my last 2 weeks and finishing UW. I'm also going to use my Anki deck of pharm cards to review some drugs

Thanks. Good luck to you.

Hello guys! An IMG looking for a piece of advice. Have been prepping for 8 weeks of a dedicated schedule. Scored 166 in my 1st NBME since 6 weeks ago, kept studying with a dedicated schedule (doing 2nd pass of the UW) and scored just 176 in my NBME now. In between took a UWSA1 with 160 estimated score. How should I go on? Should I keep a dedicated schedule for so many weeks as needed until I score around 220?