Decoding the EFC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but is there a way to figure out ahead of time what I might qualify for in terms of loans if I know my EFC? It's pretty high (as expected) and I need to know what to expect to start budgeting

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Typically your school will have an annual budget which will include tuition, books & supplies, living costs, (including rent, utilities, food, transportation, and personal money for the academic year, i.e., ~10 months). From that total amount they will subtract any grants or scholarships. In the worst of situations they will subtract your EFC from what is left and award you loans for anything that is remaining.

However, the loan amounts seem to be somewhat at the discretion of the financial aid office. My EFC is always more than the annual budget for school but they still allow me to borrow tens of thousands of dollars in Stafford loans.

Is your EFC number your expected family contribution, or the number just a code they use to calculate your EFC. Thanks