Declining acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody started notifying schools that they want to decline the offer of acceptance? For some reason (one that I can't explain), I feel that this is too early to send in a withdrawl. I have started to narrow down my list of schools, and I want to open up spots for others. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

When I am ready to apply I hope I have the same problem. lol.

edkNARF said:
Has anybody started notifying schools that they want to decline the offer of acceptance? For some reason (one that I can't explain), I feel that this is too early to send in a withdrawl. I have started to narrow down my list of schools, and I want to open up spots for others. What are your thoughts?

it's not too early if you're sure you don't want to go there!! it's never too early to open up spots for everyone else. obviously don't send your withdrawal until you are 110% sure you would never want to go to that school over another. if you already feel that, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if there are certain schools you definitely don't want to go to, you should go ahead and decline. It will help them close out your file and open up the spots for other applicants who are waiting. Imagine if you were one of the people on the waitlist, wouldn't you appreciate it someone an accepted applicant notified the school early they would not be attending rather than later?

edkNARF said:

i would notify those schools you for sure don't wanna go to as soon as possible, then take your time deciding between the others. as annoying as it might be for others that have interviewed and are waiting to hear/waiting for the spot you hold to open up, you have to make the best decision you can. it's four years (maybe more), so you can't rush it. but at the same time don't bojangle just cuz you can. if you got accepted to your number 1, then it shouldnt be a question. good luck with the decision-making, i'm sure you'll make the right one (and open up some spots for the rest ;) )

I've written formal letters for each school I won't be attending and I plan to mail them out the same day as I send out my deposit for my first choice school :) -- should be sometime this week.