Declinig admission and reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the initial reaction is - bad idea! Here is my situation. This is all hypothetical, thus far, just to let you all know. While applying I just thought I would apply and then go wherever I got in because if I get in there is no reason to decline. You go where you can go, don't be greedy or picky. However, now I am thinking it would be more financially wise and much closer to my fiance to decline admission (if I get it) to reapply for my in-state school (and number one choice) next year.

1. Do I go wherever I get in, regardless?
2. Do I wait to see, possibly decline admission, and reapply?
3. Do I remove myself from the application cycle at the school I am not too fond of...?

Would declining one school hurt my future acceptances when reapplying elsewhere??

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the initial reaction is - bad idea! Here is my situation. This is all hypothetical, thus far, just to let you all know. While applying I just thought I would apply and then go wherever I got in because if I get in there is no reason to decline. You go where you can go, don't be greedy or picky. However, now I am thinking it would be more financially wise and much closer to my fiance to decline admission (if I get it) to reapply for my in-state school (and number one choice) next year.

1. Do I go wherever I get in, regardless?
2. Do I wait to see, possibly decline admission, and reapply?
3. Do I remove myself from the application cycle at the school I am not too fond of...?

Would declining one school hurt my future acceptances when reapplying elsewhere??

I don't know about the question you're asking but if you're looking for input-- do what is best for YOU! If you are willing to put it off another year than do so! Or, if you're willing to go and want to, do it! Either way, do what makes you happy in the long run. Short-term it may suck (whatever you choose to do) but in the end it's worth it.

I'd rather decline, and reapply to my in-state school only. But, I don't know if declining admission would pretty much kill those chances next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would go with option 1 or 3 ... just because you do have to report if you get into another school on VMCAS, and more likely than not you will get questions about declining the admission. And then you will have to explain why you applied there if you didn't want to go there, etc. If you REALLY TRULY 100% don't want to go to this other school, then rescind your application to make room for others who DO want to go there. If you're unsure, then wait and see, but maybe put an explanation in the "additional info" essay (for next year's cycle application) if you do decide to decline admission.

I personally would be scarred to put my eggs in one basket as it were, but if you think that is the right choice for you, then it is. I would, however, look at the tuition and such for states near yours -- I know IS is more cost effective, but I am assuming you would also apply to other nearby schools, and those may be just as expensive as the one you are considering rescinding your application.

Just some thoughts.

I applied to the school in the first place because it was regionally nearby. I did intend to go there, I liked what I had read, but I never visited. After my visit, it just seemed wrong. But should I go to a school I don't feel great about just because it's so hard to get in and I should go wherever I can?

No. I'm really thinking about paying an extra 23K a year, because I would be happier at another school. (Keeping in mind this is if I get into both -- if I get into one, then I'll go to the other, it's not that it felt wrong I just like it less) I think vet school is going to be hard and stressful enough -- why make it more stressful by going to an environment you aren't comfortable in? If the school seemed "wrong" -- gut instinct -- then rescind your application, and try again next year. I guess it depends on your
ability to put up with not-so-great situations.

Talk to your in state school, do an application review. Tell them the circumstances (that you really only want to go there, and are thinking about rescinding applications elsewhere) and see what they say -- about your chances, and about rescinding your app. Each school looks at applicants differently, they are the ones who might be able to best answer your question.

I must admit, however, that from your post/replies, it kinda seems like you want to rescind your app. Think a bit harder about it, and then do it if you think it is the best decision. I'm going to rescind my app from Penn this week, because I really don't think I would be happy there either. It's hard, but I would rather go to UW or UMN (the two schools I'm deciding between in the first part of my post).

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it. I just needed someone to bounce my thoughts off of because I am going crazy here with no one that understands. Anyway, you made some really good points and I think I will wait a few days then rethink my position and most likely rescind my app. I think I'd rather wait a year and reapply. But again, thank you for all of your help.

No problem. I've really appreciated being able to talk to people regarding my own debate, so I totally understand. Just make an informed decision, I suppose. Good luck!! :)

Remember when you applied this time, the VMCAS application asked you if you'd ever applied to, been accepted to, or attended any veterinary school previously? I haven't the faintest idea what it does to your chances, but any school you apply to next time *will* know that you applied, were accepted, and declined admission to other school(s).

I'm sorry that this is always the answer in these situations, but... Call the school. Call the admissions office at your in-state school - make a phone appointment with a dean or somebody if you can - and just ask how they would view a re-application from somebody who had declined admission elsewhere. (Also, if you applied to your in-state school and were rejected, make sure you get a *really* clear idea of why that was so that you can fix your app by next year!)

Also, here's a really golden piece of advice - I hated the person who first told me this because it's so true... Flip a coin. Tell yourself you'll reapply if it's heads, stick with the less-preferred school if tails. If you feel OK about the outcome, then you're set. If not, then you'll know what your heart really wants. :) Good luck!

There's another option of going to the school that you are accepted to for the first year and apply to transfer to the school you want. Hard to do, but not impossible. I know someone from Okstate transferred to MSU and students from Ross transfer to Okstate all the time.

What are your chances of getting into your in-state school versus your desire that it's the only school you want to go to?

If you are absolutely sure that you don't want to go to the schools that now have your applications, I think it would be a better idea to rescind them that to wait until you get accepted and then decline. It would be easier to explain that. BTW, schools love to hear "this is the only school I want to go to. I know it's risky, but I don't even want to consider any others."

I wouldn't count on the transfer idea -- I know UW doesn't accept transfers, and I don't think UMN does either -- a lot of times that differs by school, so I'd really look into that if that was going to be a major consideration.

kate_g: the coin idea is pure genius. I mentally did it myself, and came up with an answer pretty quickly (although I was already leaning in that direction). great idea!

If it's not where you want to go, rescind your application, then you won't have to explain the acceptance and decline.

Also, I consider it perfectly reasonable to just wait another year. I'd rather be near my boyfriend waiting to get into school than off at vet school without him. This is even more true if the other school you applied to isn't a good fit.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but do you realize you're taking a huge gamble by declining and reapplying next cycle?

There's absolutely no guarantee that you will get into the school of your choice should you decide to forego an acceptance and reapply! I would definitely kick myself if I failed to get an interview!

Who cares about where the school is? You're gonna be studying all the time and have precious free time to socialize...worry about "good fit" when it comes to internships/residencies/first jobs! I'm sorry, but relationships can and do go to h*ll during school. Again, you have precious little time to nurture things outside of school.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd go where I was accepted. If I was lucky enough to get multiple acceptances, I'd put in the deposit and go for a second look to make sure...

Vet school is just way too competitive for me to take that risk!
Good luck on whatever you decide.

I saw this in the Lounge and thought it was appropriate for this situation:

http://www.freshminds.com/animation/alan_watts_life.html

So the question is really: Do you want to enjoy the journey? Can you do that at the other school? Can you do that without your fiance? Or, is it really most important to you to get your DVM, regardless?

One of the pathologists I worked with last summer declined an admission to take a year long break from studying and then reapplied and got in. Granted that was 'several' years ago, but it's definitely not unheard of.

I was accepted and had everything in place and then had a personal crisis come up where I had to decline admission and reapply. I got in again. It can happen.

I think you should find a good fit for you...someplace where you can be happy for 4 years of your life. I'm a first year and have a few classmates that are very unhappy with their location and they have indicated that it is affecting how well they are doing in school.

Doesn't mean you can't be miserable and still do well in school, but is that what you really want? If you 'really' want to go to that particular school, then I'd say just apply there. I only applied to the places I really wanted to attend (which was 2 schools) because I knew I'd be miserable anywhere else.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck.:)

I realize that this is a big decision for you to make and I understand your motivations for contemplating this decision. I had a similar experience when I first applied 4 years ago. I applied basically assuming that I was not going to get in and at the last minute got in after being on a wait list. I declined admission at that time because the school was not my first choice, it was far from my family and boyfriend and I figured if I got in once I would get in again. Unfortunately however, that has not been the case and this has been my third application cycle over 4 years. I now finally have interviews but I could have also been done with my DVM this year if I just would have went to the school I had first been accepted too. I encourage you to really consider the possibility that you may not be offered interviews or acceptances next year. The process is really so subjective depending on the applicant pool that year. Next year there could be more applicants with higher stats which could potentially make you less competitive of an applicant.

In the end if you feel you will not be happy at a particular school and will not be able to succeed in the program by all means hold out for your number one choice, just be aware sacrificing admission this year might mean sacrifices later on as far as how many times you need to apply, the expenses associated with reapplying and the value of your time.

Good luck with whatever you decide! I don't envy your decision- That's a tough one!! :luck:

I applied to the school in the first place because it was regionally nearby. I did intend to go there, I liked what I had read, but I never visited. After my visit, it just seemed wrong. But should I go to a school I don't feel great about just because it's so hard to get in and I should go wherever I can?

If you decided you did not like the place after visiting, it's not worth the OOS tuition to be miserable. WITHDRAWL BEFORE YOU ARE ACCEPTED!!!:idea:

problem solved.

I'm confused by the OP (does this make me an idiot?). Did you not apply to your state school and top choice this cycle?

I assumed in our discussion that she did, but for some reason was either waitlisted or rejected. I could be wrong, I suppose.