Decline Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BradMcC17

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way to decline an acceptance from a school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could tell you. I was really hoping for an acceptance before I decline anywhere :hardy:

In declining graduate schools, I'd recommend that you type a nice letter saying that though you appreciate their consideration and acceptance into their class, you have chosen ***COM because of personal reasons - or the like.

I have always been told that it is not appropriate to decline over the phone, so short printing out a letter will probably be your best option. Hopefully you didn't have to lay down a couple grand to hold the spot for the school you're declining!

Best of luck!

Just a short, polite letter declining consideration is fine. They don't care much about where you are going, or the reasons why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still need to decline at UHS, can't I just call or would that be rude? I am sure anyone who is waitlisted at UHS could care less how we tell them as long as we do it as fast as possible.;)

Do it in writing.

Make sure to include your social security # or any other number that they used to identify you.

This way you will be removed from their mailing lists and contact sheets.

Also...do it nicely. Never burn bridges. You never know...

Can't we just decline by email?

The Medical Profession entails a certain degree of professionalism. It is good practice to act in a professional manner by sending a simple letter saying you're declining an acceptance from that school. Some schools specifically chooses email for declining, if not, you're better off sending a letter. May be insignificant, but no harm done either. :)

Originally posted by JonDO
The Medical Profession entails a certain degree of professionalism. It is good practice to act in a professional manner by sending a simple letter saying you're declining an acceptance from that school. Some schools specifically chooses email for declining, if not, you're better off sending a letter. May be insignificant, but no harm done either. :)

Exactly

Mailing my decline acceptanace letter to EV VCOM today :(

what a world....