Decision

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished my senior in high school, and I have about thirty something transferable units from JC. I have not decided if I wanted to major in chemistry, biochemistry, or just biology. Also, worst of all, whats been really bugging me is my struggle to pick between pharmacy or medicine. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, I've been having a hard time finding extracurricular activities, which I have none of, and I'm starting to panic now because I plan on transferring after one more year at JC.

Members don't see this ad.

JC?

Jackson Park?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that there shouldn't be a problem to transfer to a four year university from a community college. Just make sure you take upper division science course from a four year university. Also, it is recommended to take prereqs at a four year university too.

Shadow.

Don't worry about community college. Now that you are out of HS you will have more opportunity for doing uni activities.

I'm confused... so you did dual credit while you were in high school? Are you asking whether you should transfer those credits or not? I would say no, but I'm sure that's not going to be the main opinion. Unless you're 1) trying to graduate early or 2) attempting to double major in diverse fields, it won't hurt you to take those courses again. If you're still in CC, then just make sure you only do the fundamental pre-reqs and not the upper division courses. Most people would say that doing upper division courses at CC is looked down upon.

As far as ECs go, shadow, volunteer, maybe throw in a little research if that's available. Do things you WANT to do. There's not a bigger beating than doing crap that you don't like doing just to throw it on your resume.

I'm confused... so you did dual credit while you were in high school? Are you asking whether you should transfer those credits or not? I would say no, but I'm sure that's not going to be the main opinion. Unless you're 1) trying to graduate early or 2) attempting to double major in diverse fields, it won't hurt you to take those courses again. If you're still in CC, then just make sure you only do the fundamental pre-reqs and not the upper division courses. Most people would say that doing upper division courses at CC is looked down upon.

As far as ECs go, shadow, volunteer, maybe throw in a little research if that's available. Do things you WANT to do. There's not a bigger beating than doing crap that you don't like doing just to throw it on your resume.

Just realize that if you want to do medicine, your major honestly doesn't matter, so only pick one of those 3 if that's what you're interested in. If not, major in something else.

I agree, if you just graduated high school I would not transfer the credits unless for the reasons he listed.