Decision with large impact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Young741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for your time.

I posted previously on SDN last year around Jan (Not sure what to do.) regarding my concern about my MCAT score. It was a 505 (128/123/126/128). At the time I was pretty hopeful that I would be able to find proper help and/or come across some kind of epiphany for raising my CARS score. I looked around SDN and all sorts of pre-med advice blogs for a course and bit on one with a fair number of great testimonials. I took the CARS course (won't mention which, you could PM me if you want to know) that touted their success. Unfortunately, the strategy I was taught simply did not resonate with me, as it involved writing down an outline during the test - the timing with it simply did not work out - among other strategies. I had so much faith for the strategy up until 3 weeks before the test, when I sat down and really asked myself if it was working for me: and it wasn't. I was at least 2 to 3 minutes over time for each passage. I abandoned ship last-minute and had to do it the way that at least let me finish CARS section on time. During the CARS section, I quite literally zoned out for the first 2 passages, and then lost hope. I voided that exam (4/28/17).

So I'm stuck with that 505 right now, and by advice of my peers here on SDN and a friend, I realized I'm not out of the game yet with osteopathic schools and a few lower-tier allopathic schools as options. All I really need to do at this moment is hit submit, and my application will be in for both AACOMAS and AAMCAS (late or not for verification, that's for another time). I've been doing more and more research about D.O's during the application process. I'm quite happy about everything the D.O school has to offer, but I'm very worried about the statistics with regards to obtaining residencies in specialties if I go this route especially with the upcoming ACGME/AOA merge. While I don't see myself applying to ortho/optho/derm, I want to keep my options viably open to some extent.

By logic it makes more sense to apply this cycle and get into some medical school to save the money and time. What do I know about residencies and what-not, right? I'm 24 (2 years post-graduation) with a few hundred hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing and starting to think I'm just taking too long. Parents are getting older (mid to late 60's) and friends are moving on professionally. But I'm now looking back and thinking about the "what-if's," where I would have found the right help for myself and would have raised that CARS score. I really want to put my best foot forward, and some part of me really believes I could have at least a 127 or 128 in that subsection. At this point I'm wondering if I'd really be happy settling with the 505 MCAT score and applying broadly, or if I should take another year off and try again.

They say you should never give up on your goals and your passions, but its becoming harder for me to differentiate to where that kind of energy should be directed.

I'm really sorry if this thread feels like alot of rambling and disorganized thought - it really is - but its been concerning me so much for the past week its been affecting my sleeping patterns among other things.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
need to know what the rest of your app looks like
Oops... I didn't mean to sound like I was sure I'll make it into a DO school this cycle, I must've come off as pompous. I'd consider my stats as between par and sub-par among candidates in SDN.

cGPA: 3.63
sGPA: 3.52
I'm an ORM in the state of MD.
MCAT 505 (128 P/S, 123 CARS, 126 B/S, 128 P/S)
~350 hrs clinical volunteering in OR, continuing in newborn & maternity care
~100 hrs shadowing surgeons/physicians
~800+ hrs volunteering at church ranging from worship team to fundraising
~300 hrs undergrad research volunteer in a stem-cell -> clinical treatment lab
~2 yrs undergrad organic chem lab ta

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oops... I didn't mean to sound like I was sure I'll make it into a DO school this cycle, I must've come off as pompous. I'd consider my stats as between par and sub-par among candidates in SDN.

With those stats, you have a really good chance for MD if you score a 510 or above. You are already a good candidate for DO schools.

is there a question in this word salad?

Hi all, thanks for your time.

I posted previously on SDN last year around Jan (Not sure what to do.) regarding my concern about my MCAT score. It was a 505 (128/123/126/128). At the time I was pretty hopeful that I would be able to find proper help and/or come across some kind of epiphany for raising my CARS score. I looked around SDN and all sorts of pre-med advice blogs for a course and bit on one with a fair number of great testimonials. I took the CARS course (won't mention which, you could PM me if you want to know) that touted their success. Unfortunately, the strategy I was taught simply did not resonate with me, as it involved writing down an outline during the test - the timing with it simply did not work out - among other strategies. I had so much faith for the strategy up until 3 weeks before the test, when I sat down and really asked myself if it was working for me: and it wasn't. I was at least 2 to 3 minutes over time for each passage. I abandoned ship last-minute and had to do it the way that at least let me finish CARS section on time. During the CARS section, I quite literally zoned out for the first 2 passages, and then lost hope. I voided that exam (4/28/17).

So I'm stuck with that 505 right now, and by advice of my peers here on SDN and a friend, I realized I'm not out of the game yet with osteopathic schools and a few lower-tier allopathic schools as options. All I really need to do at this moment is hit submit, and my application will be in for both AACOMAS and AAMCAS (late or not for verification, that's for another time). I've been doing more and more research about D.O's during the application process. I'm quite happy about everything the D.O school has to offer, but I'm very worried about the statistics with regards to obtaining residencies in specialties if I go this route especially with the upcoming ACGME/AOA merge. While I don't see myself applying to ortho/optho/derm, I want to keep my options viably open to some extent.

By logic it makes more sense to apply this cycle and get into some medical school to save the money and time. What do I know about residencies and what-not, right? I'm 24 (2 years post-graduation) with a few hundred hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing and starting to think I'm just taking too long. Parents are getting older (mid to late 60's) and friends are moving on professionally. But I'm now looking back and thinking about the "what-if's," where I would have found the right help for myself and would have raised that CARS score. I really want to put my best foot forward, and some part of me really believes I could have at least a 127 or 128 in that subsection. At this point I'm wondering if I'd really be happy settling with the 505 MCAT score and applying broadly, or if I should take another year off and try again.

They say you should never give up on your goals and your passions, but its becoming harder for me to differentiate to where that kind of energy should be directed.

I'm really sorry if this thread feels like alot of rambling and disorganized thought - it really is - but its been concerning me so much for the past week its been affecting my sleeping patterns among other things.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a question in this word salad?
now, now.

they have a 505. voided #2 after a poor CARS course. rest of app as above. should OP:
- apply as is
- wait a year and try for a higher mcat

OP does not have a specialty inclination at this time, but would like to keep their options open.

Not pompous, we just need detail :)

How are your essay and interview skills? Letters?

Not pompous, we just need detail :)

How are your essay and interview skills? Letters?

To play it on the safe side, my interviews tend to be hit or miss depending on my condition that day. If I could rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd place myself on a 7 or 8.

My essay is being revised as we speak, but subjectively speaking I think it will be okay. At least it won't be like my post, haha.

I have 4 LOR, 2 from science-professors, 1 from a humanities professor, and 1 from a CNOR. I realize the DO schools generally require a DO letter, but I looked into ones that don't require one. I think if I had known earlier about DO programs, I would have prepared a DO letter as well.

Hahaha sorry about that I was partly venting when I wrote the thread
You're fine for DO, but if you're boning for MD, a retake might be in order. As of right now, you're in striking distance of:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Your state school(s).

You're fine for DO, but if you're boning for MD, a retake might be in order. As of right now, you're in striking distance of:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Your state school(s).

University of Washington School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

Should I not apply to these schools? (They were in a list of MD schools suggested by SDN members to applicants with stats similar to my own about a year or two ago)

Last edited:
New York Medical College

Should I not apply to these schools? (They were in a list of MD schools suggested by SDN members to applicants with stats similar to my own about a year or two ago)
University of Washington has strong in-state bias
all the others, yes, apply to those.
add University of Illinois Chicago, Central Michigan university, Wayne State

University of Washington has strong in-state bias
all the others, yes, apply to those.
add University of Illinois Chicago, Central Michigan university, Wayne State

Do you think Arizona at Tucson might be okay too?

Do you think Arizona at Tucson might be okay too?
hmm yes, i actually know someone that got in there that wasn't from AZ and had an MCAT similar to yours

New York Medical College

Your score is < the 10th %ile for those schools. U WA has already been mentioned as to why. Geisinger favors people from the Scranton region. As such, I can't recommend them.